Gangemi Q&A #6

Author of INAMORATA

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Gangemi Q&A #6

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:04 am

6. Do you believe your Noel Coward quote--that skeptics generally turn out to be the most receptive and vulnerable?

Gangemi:
I do. Just as I believe that the most ardent cynics are probably secretly frustrated idealists. I think this dynamic is common in human nature, especially in strong personalities that tilt one way to an overwhelming degree. When I came across the Noel Coward quote early in my research it became the hook on which I hung the entire book. It's really much more central to the theme of the novel than any of the "Is she or isn't she?" plot mechanics.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Interesting analysis!! Rings true!! Think he's got me figured out!! :eyebrow:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:30 pm

It makes sense to me because a skeptic isn't necessarily against the idea, in fact the skeptic is open to believe once something can be proven to his/her satisfaction. They generally want to believe but are open to facts/discussion in either direction. This will an interesting topic to revisit after we see the movie!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:59 pm

So is he saying that sceptics want to believe, but are held back by lack of evidence.?..I think I tend to mix up scepticicsm with cynicism.. :dunce: ..
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:18 am

I agree, gilly -- I also tend to mix the two words up.

So now I'm thinking that a skeptic doesn't believe it until he sees it, and a cynic doesn't believe it even if he does see it. Or do I have that backwards?

I think that Gangemi had the right idea to make that quote his "hook". It made a much more interesting story than just that "is she or isn't she" mystery

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:28 am

Not only do I get mixed up between cynic and skeptic ...I also mix up the spelling :lol: My skeptics are sceptic...now is that a Freudian slip.?.. :capnjack: :-O
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:39 am

gilly wrote:Not only do I get mixed up between cynic and skeptic ...I also mix up the spelling :lol: My skeptics are sceptic...now is that a Freudian slip.?.. :capnjack: :-O

:perplexed: Could very well be, gilly! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:42 am

gilly wrote:Not only do I get mixed up between cynic and skeptic ...I also mix up the spelling :lol: My skeptics are sceptic...now is that a Freudian slip.?.. :capnjack: :-O

You're not too mixed up, gilly.

Skeptic is the American spelling of sceptic. So you can be sceptical or skeptical -- just stay away from cynical.
:eyebrow:

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:38 pm

An interesting comment, that the "Is she or isn't she?" plot mechanics weren't as important. It did seem to be about other things in the end.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:11 pm

theresa wrote:I agree, gilly -- I also tend to mix the two words up.

So now I'm thinking that a skeptic doesn't believe it until he sees it, and a cynic doesn't believe it even if he does see it. Or do I have that backwards?

This is the way I understand it, Theresa.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:53 pm

A cynic will never believe .... :cool:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Joseph Gangemi”