It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #5
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:21 am 

I greatly enjoyed reading Chocolat and discussing it here at the ONBC. I was puzzled by the introduction of the idea that Vianne's mother may have kidnapped her as a child and not have been her real mother. It changed my whole perception of the mother and their relationship and the motivation for their wandering. Can you tell us why you introduced this plot twist and why you placed it where you did in the story?
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

One of the themes running through the story in Chocolat is the idea of family being something that you can choose rather than something that you are born to. I wanted to leave that particular plot strand open and allow the reader to make their own decision about whether Vianne’s mother had genuinely kidnapped Vianne as a child or not. But I also wanted to question the relationships between family members and suggest that quite possibly you can feel a stronger kinship with somebody who is no kind of blood relative than you can with your actual family.

Ladies, an announcement: Due to the weekend activities, and lack of internet connection, on the part of Liz and I we will not be posting another tidbit or Joanne Harris Q&A until Sunday, possibly late Sunday night. Have a great weekend and enjoy all new pics!! :cloud9:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:01 pm 

Wow! What a good answer. I guess I hadn't really thought about how very strong that theme of family being something you choose is in the book, but once she said it, I realize it is.

Have a good weekend, both of you. We'll miss you - but we might just muddle through by cruising the Recent Pix a few more times or watching our Letterman tapes over and over! :omg:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:05 pm 

Well, my actual family is not related to me by blood as my kids are adopted and my husband was not a relative :-O , but it seems like having a mom who may have kidnapped her child from what was probably a loving family is going a bit far to point out that one doesn't have to be blood-related to have a strong feeling of kinship! Must admit I felt like I wanted the kidnapping suggestion to be followed up on a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:51 am 

I like that idea of choosing your family..Vianne and Armande definitely chose each other..

I have faith in you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]