It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:22 am 

I was puzzled by Vianne's motivation in making out with Roux and being pleased to conceive a child with him. I realize she doesn't believe in any religious standards and needs to feel free, but this struck me as a belief in just doing whatever makes one happy, regardless of its effect on others. And she had seemed so concerned that others find happiness... (Double standard! Rogue Roux's motivation wasn't so puzzling!)

It’s not true that she doesn’t believe in any religious standards; Vianne has her own beliefs although she also has her own moral code, which is sometimes in conflict with that of the Catholic Church. But Vianne is also a rather complicated character, she is in no way a perfect individual and her instinctive reactions are often in conflict with her intellectual ones. This isn’t the first time her double standards have been apparent and her emotional confusion (represented by her deep desire to settle down in direct conflict with her equally strong desire to keep moving on) comes out at this stage in a purely physical response.

Having said this, I like to think that there was a genuine kinship between Vianne and Roux; something in the nature of two souls meeting at a predestined time which may, I hope, lead to something else in the future…….

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:06 pm 

This is so exciting to have these answers in the author's own words. Thank you again, Liz and DITHOT, for making this possible. And good questions, everyone!
Quote:
Having said this, I like to think that there was a genuine kinship between Vianne and Roux; something in the nature of two souls meeting at a predestined time which may, I hope, lead to something else in the future…

I am glad she said this about Roux and Vianne being two souls meeting at a predestined time, because that was how I saw it. Also the fact that Armande knew about the baby before she died and sent a gold coin for it added to the very mystical sense surrounding this whole episode for me. And I wonder what she means by ". . .which may, I hope, lead to something else in the future. . ."? :eyebrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:21 pm 

I saw it the same way Bix, and did not have any problems with them finding each other in the night.

I love to imagine what the future holds for Roux.... :cloud9:

Of course in my mind it is only good!

Post subject: Re: Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #3
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Bix wrote:
This is so exciting to have these answers in the author's own words. Thank you again, Liz and DITHOT, for making this possible. And good questions, everyone!
Quote:
Having said this, I like to think that there was a genuine kinship between Vianne and Roux; something in the nature of two souls meeting at a predestined time which may, I hope, lead to something else in the future…

I am glad she said this about Roux and Vianne being two souls meeting at a predestined time, because that was how I saw it. Also the fact that Armande knew about the baby before she died and sent a gold coin for it added to the very mystical sense surrounding this whole episode for me. And I wonder what she means by ". . .which may, I hope, lead to something else in the future. . ."? :eyebrow:

Too bad we can't ask some follow-up questions.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:45 pm 

Am I the only one concerned about Josephine and wondering why Vianne wasn't concerned about Josephine? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Betty Sue wrote:
Am I the only one concerned about Josephine and wondering why Vianne wasn't concerned about Josephine? :-?

Heavens no. It bothered me. :banghead:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 am 

My memory is going,but I think Vianne accepted that Roux and Josephine were meant for each other,in a practical sense..But Vianne had an other worldy connection to him,that was meant to be also..

I have faith in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:34 am 

gilly wrote:
My memory is going,but I think Vianne accepted that Roux and Josephine were meant for each other,in a practical sense..But Vianne had an other worldy connection to him,that was meant to be also..

I think Vianne did accept Josephine and Roux, I wonder what Josephine thought though? :eyebrow:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]