Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #2

Author of CHOCOLAT

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Q&A with Joanne Harris ~ #2

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:36 am

I was struck by one thing in Joanne Harris' discussion of her book and the movie on the website - notably the total absence of any mention of the character Roux. So my question would be "what does Ms Harris feel is the symbolism of the character of Roux within the context of the "symbiotic" relationship between Reynaud and Vianne in Chocolat"?

Roux represents the free spirit in the book. He isn’t bound by any kind of social or religious convention (as Vianne and Reynaud both are in their different ways) and he is free of the restraining, and, to some extent, redeeming influence of family. In the book this makes him quite a complicated character in some ways. He has less interest in conventional morality, although he has evolved a moral code of his own which has much to do with self-interest and through which he has set himself apart from the conventional mainstream of society. This is the way he likes it and it makes him a bit of a mystery. He crops up in various guises in my other books where both his good side and his bad side are more extensively explored. In the movie, of course, this aspect of him is almost entirely absent and he plays a much simpler role and a more positive one.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 am

I find it interesting that she says Vianne was bound by a sort of "code" of her own.....while Roux was a true free spirit. I am going to have to think about this for a little while. I guess I have always thought of Vianne as the free spirit, while Roux seemed trapped by his isolation.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:41 am

nebraska, that is an interesting take on it and definitely something to think about! :cool: We will get into Vianne a little more in an upcoming question Joanne answers that deals with Vianne and Reynaud. That may shed some more light what she says here.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:01 pm

OOOPPPPSSS - forgot this thread was going on.

Her description of Roux sounds exactly like a certain pirate. :baby:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi shadowydog! Glad you could check in! We still have a few more Q&A's to go so check in if you can! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Joanne Harris”