Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #20

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #20

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 31, 2007 10:35 am

Q: Darlene, on the set of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?", what is one thing you will never forget? Such as something funny, dramatic, or just enjoyable.

A: On Dec. 13th we were working on the courthouse scene where Momma is walking down the hall. I use a cane and a wheelchair. My son, Mark, would be on the ready to swoop in behind me as soon as we had a shot. We had done this about six times and I was exhausted and starting to get annoyed. How many ways can one walk down a hall? Lasse' said, "Let's do one more for fun", a favorite expression of his, and I told Mark that this was absolutely the last time I was doing this scene. I think everyone knew I was getting aggravated. At the end of that walk everyone popped out with a cake, balloons and birthday presents! I was certainly looking pretty meek, and the crew thought it was all amusing. What a wonderful show of love and affection! Later, waiting in the car for Mark to retrieve some things from the trailer, I really felt the presence of God, felt His arms around me and heard Him say, "See, how much I love you, Darlene." It was astonishing to realize the lengths that God had gone to for me to understand that I had value. What a glorious day!!

:cloud9:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 31, 2007 11:10 am

Learning about you and your WEGG experiences just keeps getting better and better! :cloud9: You express yourself so well! Thank you!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

heidi1

Unread postby heidi1 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:38 pm

:-O :-O :-O What an awesome experience, Darlene! Thanks so much for sharing something so personal with us. God does show up where one least expects it, and with unusual timing. I likewise had such an encounter, despite coming from a sparse religious background, and I love hearing of such experiences. Though some will discount what occurred, those that experienced it know. I am happy for you to have that on top of all the other wonderful things that occurred during the filming of WEGG---sort of the icing on the cake! ;-) :cloud9:

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Thu May 31, 2007 12:50 pm

What a nice surprise! The cast and crew must have been good at keeping a secret. And what a wonderful feeling later in the car, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. :smiliewithhearts:
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Heather_Hanson

Unread postby Heather_Hanson » Thu May 31, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks for answering my question Darlene! Wow that is so sweet, your brother seems like a real gentlemen. I just think that is so nice that the cast and crew suprised you. Glad you had a great time.
"This is the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" - CJS
"Fuhgetaboutit." - Donnie Brasco

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Unread postby KYwoman » Thu May 31, 2007 8:14 pm

What a wonderful thing to happen for you, and how sweet of them to do that! A very lovely memory to cherish, to be sure. :cloud9:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

nickidepphead

Unread postby nickidepphead » Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 pm

How wonderful Darlene! I'm not in the least religious, but it's obvious these people really cared for you and wanted to give you something special, which you truly deserved. Take care and best wishes always to you, you lovely lady! :cool:
* So...directly from the beautiful lips of Johnny Depp - THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Johnny Depp Zone! *

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 31, 2007 11:35 pm

I love that everyone on the set had planned a surprise for you when you finished that scene. It sounds like Lasse may have done an extra take while they got ready to surprise you. What is even more wonderful to me is your family. Your son was there after each take with your wheelchair and I know you mentioned your daughter and son in law were on set too. Your real blessing is having a family that loves you and is there to support you.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:08 pm

That's so tender and sweet. Now, I'm cryin' again. I'm so grateful to you that you shared this lovely experience.
Bless. :pray:
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Return to “Darlene Cates”