Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #18

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #18

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Q: To me "What´s Eating Gilbert Grape" is a film full of love, warmth and humour but it’s also very serious, reflective and soul searching. There must have been days when filming was extremely difficult or even hard and upsetting. What did you and the rest of the cast do to unwind or get back on track emotionally between takes?

A: I mostly would cry! lol Juliette took naps, and I took a few too. The courthouse scene was very difficult for me, even though I knew it was staged. I got even more upset when I realized that many of the townspeople had gathered on the perimeter. Was I acting in that scene.....not really. I was pretty subdued, but after a couple of takes I began to relax and just do whatever it took. I cried after the first two takes, but was fine after that. Tears! God's safety valve!
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 29, 2007 3:13 pm

That must have been very difficult! :bawl: Perhaps that is why Mama seems so real on the screen, the emotions WERE real. I am glad that Darlene's sacrifice and work were rewarded with such a wonderful movie, with the longevity that it has had, and with a fan base that still writes her letters!

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 pm

Wow! No wonder you were so excellent, Darlene! You really lived this movie! As nebraska said, it's great that your work and sacrifice still are reaping accolades. :cool:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue May 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Darlene ~ :hug:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 am

You make a very good point here on why people of all shapes and sizes are needed in films. You were able to feel the scene outside the courthouse because it was real for you. This is one of those things that cant just be acted without some life experiences showing through. Actors can be great but even the greatest like Johnny sometimes says some roles are not for them. Some scenes take more than just a script. Again we have to thank you for not only taking the part but for bringing some of your inner self along.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Wed May 30, 2007 3:39 pm

Joni wrote:Darlene ~ :hug:

Yesterday, I didn't know what to say when I read this, I got sad.
All who have posted have said good things.
I just got to follow Joni's response, it expresses my feelings, too.
Darlene~ :hug:
I'm pretty certain that everyone sharing here would do this, :grouphug: all around ya, Darlene.
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Return to “Darlene Cates”