Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #17

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #17

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 28, 2007 12:47 pm

Q: Were any scenes excluded that were filmed, or anything left out that you wish had been included?

A: Amy and Momma improvised a scene where they are washing Momma's hair and getting ready for the party the night before. I kinda liked it, but we all had some reservations about it so I wasn't too surprised when it didn't make the cut. Also, there were some fabulously funny scenes of Gilbert and Mrs. Carvers anniversary picnic. They should have put those outakes on the new dvd release.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

JD101

Unread postby JD101 » Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Ah ha! That must be where these pics come from. I've often wondered if they were from a scene. The picnic scene would make sense. :cool: I wish they had included them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/ ... tmaybe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/ ... lbert2.jpg
"The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone you can never have." ~ Unknown

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes, Just hearing about those scenes of Gilbert and Mrs Carvers anniversary picnic really make me want to see them. It is a shame they didn't put those and the deleted scenes on the last DVD.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 28, 2007 1:42 pm

gemini wrote:Yes, Just hearing about those scenes of Gilbert and Mrs Carvers anniversary picnic really make me want to see them. It is a shame they didn't put those and the deleted scenes on the last DVD.

Me too and I agree. :bawl:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SilentMovieEyes

Unread postby SilentMovieEyes » Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 am

Thank you, JD101, for those. And I, too, would love to see those deleted scenes put in a 'special ed.' Can't get enough of Gilbert!

Also, I'm sorry to come so late into this wonderful thread. So nice to read Darlene's perspective on just about my favorite JD film.

I really consider What's Eating Gilbert Grape a classic. When I first got it, I watched it every night for a week. It's also one of the very few films (I think) where ALL the actors hold their own with Johnny. And that's saying a lot. Beautiful ensemble acting! But Darlene Cates, especially, was incredibly impressive. So brave, so perfect in the part of Momma.

This is a bit OT I'd also like to say how impressive Johnny was in going from the very slow speed of Gilbert to the complete opposite of Ed Wood in the same year! And I think both performances were oscar-worthy. Pretty amazing creativity for someone who was only 30 and having a 'bad year'.
Kim: Hold me.
Edward: ...I can't.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 29, 2007 1:49 pm

SilentMovieEyes wrote: This is a bit OT I'd also like to say how impressive Johnny was in going from the very slow speed of Gilbert to the complete opposite of Ed Wood in the same year! And I think both performances were Oscar-worthy. Pretty amazing creativity for someone who was only 30 and having a 'bad year'.

Good point, SilentMovieEyes! And welcome to ONBC. :welcome:

Return to “Darlene Cates”