Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #16

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #16

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 am

I am curious about your reaction to the longevity of WEEG. First it was a cult classic of sorts, and now with Johnny’s rise to super stardom after the Pirates movies, more and more people have watched it. Did you ever foresee how long the popularity of WEEG would last?

I never dreamed WEGG would be the classic it is. That fact just thrills me! To think that WEGG has a emotional impact on people like it did for me is astounding!

It is truly amazing that I am still getting fan mail and that many schools are including WEGG in their curriculum.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Sun May 27, 2007 3:02 pm

I think that WEGG is a rare gem. It's great that it's being seen again and again... Long may it run! :cloud9:
I'm glad also to hear that Darlene is getting more well deserved fan mail. Thanks again and again, Darlene! Long may you run! :cloud9:
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 27, 2007 4:11 pm

It is amazing that this simple little movie has lasted so long in an age when special effects get bolder and bolder and movies get louder and more outlandish all the time. (I sat through trailers at AWE yesterday, that new Bruce Willis movie is an example of what I am talking about). I think WEGG is timeless, and I believe it will continue to have a following and be watched over and over. I think I mentioned earlier that I bought my granddaughter her own copy because she wanted to borrow mine all the time! A new generation of fans!

I believe WEGG speaks to our hearts of a simpler time and simpler values. Even though the Grape family was dysfunctional, there was a LOT of love in that house, and no matter what else, they were family first. For many folks, that is missing. The characters were REAL. Mama was REAL, in large part due to Darlene's portrayal of her.

And then there is Gilbert.... :cloud9: Enough said there.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 27, 2007 8:32 pm

Well said Xaxis and nebraska! :cool: WEGG is a classic that deserves its placein movie collections everywhere.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun May 27, 2007 9:05 pm

WEGG even with todays new films fills a void that is just not there. Most are fast paced adventures , or comic family life but few address real issues and do them so realistically. I think that is why this film also has a varied age audience that is not directed to just teens.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Darlene Cates”