Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #15

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ #15

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 26, 2007 10:57 am

Q: I find the movie had a charm that the book seemed to lack for me. Johnny, Darlene, Leo, and Mary Kate, really created real people, rather than just characters, which makes WEGG extraordinary. Did you read the book before filming and if so, how did you feel about the changes in the story? Do you know why the older siblings, Larry and Janice, were left out of the film?

A: I did read the book before even auditioning, but I also read a partial screen play, so I knew the movie was going to be different from the book. I would not have auditioned based on the book alone. I did ask Peter about Larry and Janice, and, as I recall, they were left out for financial concerns and because they could be left out without destroying the integrity of the story.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat May 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Another great answer! I would imagine auditioning for the book version would have been less than pleasant. This movie could have been a pretty nasty movie if the makers had decided to go that route, I guess; instead, it was a heartworming family film. The book was good reading, and there were some scenes I wish had been left in the movie, but overall I don't think I would have liked a movie that was completely true to the book.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Sat May 26, 2007 1:43 pm

I can see why you would not have wanted to play Momma from the book version, she did not have the heart that the movie version had. The changes made in the screen play made the movie more enjoyable. I liked the book but it would have been a difficult to watch if the movie had stayed true to the book.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun May 27, 2007 3:30 am

Well Nebraska and Linda Lee, you have pretty much answered this just as I would so guess I'll just agree since you both said it so well.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Good to know your view point about the movie version.
Thanks, Darlene!
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

Return to “Darlene Cates”