Darlene Cates Q&A ~ # 12

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ # 12

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 23, 2007 8:25 am

First of all let me just say Liz and I had a great time in California but it's good to be home! :bounce: We had a quick meet up with some Noodlemantras :wave: and had fun at Disneyland. Even though we only had a quick glimpse of Johnny as he walked the red carpet it was a great trip with good friends! :grouphug: Now back to business...

First you were great in Gilbert Grape and you are very kind to answer questions for us. I have seen the film so many times I don't need to ask about it so what can you tell us about what goes on with the actors and crew in between shooting? Do you live in hotels off set or trailers close by? Does everyone go their separate ways on off hours or stay close by? How long did it take to film?

It took us four months to shoot. If we were on call we stayed close by in our trailers. If we weren't needed on set, we stayed at the hotel or went shopping. For me the time was spent going over lines. In the evenings sometimes we hung out together. Sometimes we went our own way. Most of the young folks went out for a few drinks and some dancing. Austin is a great music and party town.

There is a lot of waiting when you are making a movie. Lighting has to be just right and changed each time the camera angle is changed. Of course makeup and hair are always close by. There was a lot of joking and fun between takes, but we knew when to get down to business. There was a guy that wore a skirt to set most days.....it was hard to be serious on those days. lol
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Wed May 23, 2007 12:52 pm

DITHOT, Liz and all, it was a great pleasure meeting you at the Premier week-end. I admire and appreciate all you do here! A Huge Thank You!

Darlene, That is very funny, a man wearing a skirt to the set! Filming sounds like it can run the gammet of emotions, from learning lines, to play. I'll bet many friends are made and treasured. :cloud9:
Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Wed May 23, 2007 2:30 pm

:disco: Good to know you all had a great time! Home safe and sound... so, do you have eardrums or voices left? :bawl: Listening to the sound of the crowd wow, wee.. ! :-O
What a trip.

I hear Sweet Dreams live in Austin. Austin is a town said to embrace it's excentrics, colorful indeed, I imagine. It's nice to hear that the set was dancing wild a bit too. Thanks, Darlene. :cool:
Last edited by Xaxis on Wed May 23, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks Darlene, It sounds like it was a very enjoyable experience. I am so happy to hear there was some humor on the set. I like hearing there was a lot of joking and fun on the set. Did the fellow with the skirt watch the old Mash series with the guy always wearing a skirt and makeup? Showing my age again..
Four months seem like a relatively short time so it shows that there was some good working time and not all play time, and the end result was certainly worth while.

Not to get off subject but I am dying to hear about your trip to Disney, Liz and DITHOT. I think you should start a separate little ONBC premier thread so we can ask you all about it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 23, 2007 11:09 pm

Welcome back, every one! I have missed the daily activity around here!

This is probably going to sound strange, but I totally forgot that the movie wasn't really in Iowa (I know, I know, we had a virtual tour of Manor Texas!) and that Darlene wasn't where she really lives...... :blush: ..... I think that is a function of how believable the movie looked and how natural the characters seemed to be in that environment. Four months away from home, with lots of time to pass between actually being on camera. :-O That's the part I don't think about when I sit down to watch WEGG.....or any movie. That takes a lot of commitment, especially in Darlene's circumstances (having a family, being a brand-new actress and all). I suppose a crew and cast do become close (or terribly tired of each other) under those conditions.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 23, 2007 11:22 pm

Lady Jill, it was great to meet you and your group too! I hope you all enjoyed the experience and are now caught up on your sleep. I'm still working on it myself. :zzz:

Xaxis, Austin is indeed known for "keeping it weird" and having a good time, men in skirts and all. :lol: It's nice to hear the cast had a good experience while they were here.

nebraska, I keep forgetting the movie was supposed to take place in Iowa because it seems like could so easily have taken place where it was filmed or maybe in any small town in America because I think we can all relate to the Grape family and their struggles. Kudos to the film makers for their great work. :hatsoff:

gemini, we will get something worked up in the next few days about our experience at the premiere. We would love to share it with you. As soon as I get my feet back on the ground and get caught up with real life I'll get something posted. Thanks for asking!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 24, 2007 9:57 am

Lady Jill, I enjoyed meeting you and the rest of your gang, too. Johnny has sure brought a lot of people together. Thank you, Johnny. :cloud9:

And I don't think I ever think of Endora being in Iowa. Manor is always in my mind even though I can't pronounce it as the Texans do. :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Thu May 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Four months doesn't seem like a very long time at all. It must rather odd everyone going their separate ways afterwards after so much emoting, honesty and hugs. It makes me realise why actors & directors do sometimes seek out those opportunities to work with the same people again.

I'm glad you girls had a great time meeting up and seeing Himself :capnjack:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Thu May 24, 2007 8:57 pm

[quote="Liz"] Johnny has sure brought a lot of people together. Thank you, Johnny. :cloud9:

Liz, and DITHOT, can you say that again. Just think how many people he has touched! Awesome! This eve I just received the group picture from Carol Darling. It is really nice!

Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

Return to “Darlene Cates”