Darlene Cates Q&A - #8

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Darlene Cates Q&A - #8

Unread postby Liz » Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 am

Q: Is it true that Johnny preferred to call you Momma, even when you weren't filming and that he never left the set until after you did at end of the day?

A: Johnny never left the set until he checked on me and told me goodbye with a kiss on the cheek. He did call me Momma when we were on set, but as I recall, he called me Darlene when we weren't. He was so good to me and treated me so sweetly. I really do miss him and wish I could visit with him for a while again.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Xaxis

Re: Darlene Cates Q&A - #8

Unread postby Xaxis » Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 am

Liz wrote:
A: Johnny never left the set until he checked on me and told me goodbye with a kiss on the cheek. He did call me Momma when we were on set, but as I recall, he called me Darlene when we weren't. He was so good to me and treated me so sweetly. I really do miss him and wish I could visit with him for a while again.

How sweet! :cloud9:
I wish that for you too, Darlene! :pray:
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 14, 2007 2:53 pm

For years I have heard stories of Johnny's kindness to everyone he meets...well, except for perhaps a few intrusive paparazzi ......It is good to hear about his time on WEGG first hand. Keep those stories coming! :disco:

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Mon May 14, 2007 3:03 pm

Maybe another movie together! :bounce:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Betty Sue wrote:Maybe another movie together! :bounce:

I'll second that Betty Sue. I think them getting together for another film would be a great way to catch up on old times.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

SilentMovieEyes

Unread postby SilentMovieEyes » Tue May 29, 2007 8:15 am

I just wanted to add that of all the female co-stars Johnny's acted with, the acting (and I hate to call it that - it seemed so natural and real) between he and Darlene was the BEST. I can't think of another relationship with another female co-star in any of his films that even came close to the one between Gilbert and Momma.
Kim: Hold me.
Edward: ...I can't.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 am

It did seem so natural and honest, SilentMovieEyes. They definitely had a special chemistry!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Darlene Cates”