Darlene Cates Q&A ~ Question #5

Actress who played Mama in WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Darlene Cates Q&A ~ Question #5

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 11, 2007 8:20 am

I just wanted to let you know that Darlene has been reading your responses and she is very appreicative of your comments!

How is everything going for you and your family? How did they feel about you being a movie star?

The family and I are doing well. We have the usual health problems from time to time, and we have a teenager in the family. That makes for interesting stuff! lol We are involved in church and stay busy.

The family has been very supportive of my new career. They have met interesting people and traveled with me. They say it has been fun for them. That teenage grandson I mentioned earlier has been "cashing" in on the fact his Grandmother knows Johnny Depp. Seems the girls pay him a lot of attention over this fact. lol
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Betty Sue

Re: Darlene Cates Q&A ~ Question #5

Unread postby Betty Sue » Fri May 11, 2007 9:08 am

I mentioned earlier has been "cashing" in on the fact his Grandmother knows Johnny Depp. Seems the girls pay him a lot of attention over this fact. lol

Understandable!!! :blush: So happy you and your family are doing well and that you're reading our comments! Lovely to converse with you!
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

heidi1

Unread postby heidi1 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:52 am

Likewise happy to hear you and your family are doing well, Darlene! I love your sense of humor! It is pleasure having you on the Zone and we feel honored! :disco:

namaste

Unread postby namaste » Fri May 11, 2007 10:56 am

I have been enjoying reading all the questions and answers as well as everyones comments here. Mama is an inspiration but Darlene, you are even more so. First by showing that everyone is human and worthy of love and secondly by standing your ground when dealing with the books author. I love the fact that you brought more quality to the character than what was in the book (from what I've read here - as I haven't read the book). Too many people are scared to do things because they worry about what other people will say about them - this is very sad; I'm always so happy when people show that what others say or think doesn't matter and that what does matter is getting out in the world and enjoying your life and your loved ones. Bravo Darlene, you are a hero for all people - big, small, tall, short, beautiful or not. Thank you.

Pam

Xaxis

Unread postby Xaxis » Fri May 11, 2007 11:19 am

heidi wrote:Likewise happy to hear you and your family are doing well, Darlene! I love your sense of humor! It is pleasure having you on the Zone and we feel honored! :disco:

Couldn't say it better myself!
Thank you Darlene for your time and your kindness! :cloud9: :cloud9:
Since I know now you may be reading this I am so happy to be able to tell you personally, I love to watch really good acting, I adore when actors can through their gifts bring to us great experiences and in my humble opinion, I remember watching WEGG for the first time and thinking, who is that actress, where's she been, more movies with her in it, she's got it, she's wonderful! :cloud9:
“Know thyself” and “Nothing to excess” inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 pm

I'll bet you are a real trump card for that grandson. ;-)

I have wondered also if you followed our discussion of the WEGG book..... I haven't known if we were able to speak TO you rather than about you since I wasn't sure how involved you wanted to be. I, too, am honored to be able to personally tell you, Darlene, that your performance as Mama touched me deeply!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri May 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Just so there isn't any confusion...Darelene has not registered on the Zone but she did comment that she had read some of your comments during the Q&A and appreciated all your kind words. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Just so there isn't any confusion...Darelene has not registered on the Zone but she did comment that she had read some of your comments during the Q&A and appreciated all your kind words. :cool:

Well if she is waiting for an invitation to sign up, I can 't see anyone more suited to be a zoner.
Hope she realizes that she could join up and we would not drive her crazy with questions like this all the time. She would not have to use her name, most of us hide behind our screen names. The zone is just a nice place to hang out with people who have Johnny in common.

Darlene, I am so glad that your family has enjoyed your career as much as you have. Your teenage grandson does have some real leverage to cash in on. How many kids can say their grandma made a film with Johnny and Leonardo? I can see a lot of teen age girls in awe of that. Actually I think it's pretty impressive myself and I am no spring chicken.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Darlene Cates”