Devotion ~ Question #3 Reading

Waiting for the Barbarians by ‎J.M. Coetzee

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:27 pm

"I desperately scan the room as if searching for a lifeline in a deep marsh. Among a small pile of unread books atop my flat files are Francine du Plessix Grays's monograph on Simone Weil and Modiano's Pedigree, with the astonished face of the author on the cover. "
(Devotion p. 8)

Patti chooses some heavy material to read on her travels... :reader:
What books do you like to read when traveling or waiting?

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:11 pm

I am always dragging books around with me. A mix of stuff -- so I can find just the right read when I am going to bed or on the train, in the airport.

I have to have a book that is multi-layered I guess. Something that is totally immersive. Something I lose myself in, for days of time. This summer I was undergoing several bouts of skin cancer surgery -- all good -- and I needed books that were like hearty meals that I could bite into and savor and reflect on. Not surfacey things which wouldn't or couldn't totally grab me away.

One of my favorites this summer was an older book, All The Light We Never See by Anthony Doerr. I had a copy hanging around for years, but this burning need to deeply, and thoroughly distract myself got me to open it. What a marvelous read!

I think we read or need to have close to us, those books that will fill us. Could be murder mysteries. Could be nonfiction or memories. And I do think travel requires books, for all those odd times you feel out of your self, without that unconscious and familiar routine. Books are a comfort.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:42 pm

If I am in the middle of a good book I will take it with me to the doctor's office, etc where a wait is expected. Whatever I am reading at the moment. I am addicted to Anne Perry's mystery novels, so it will likely be a book like that.

Most often I carry a magazine with me when I anticipate needing something to read, even when traveling. Generally my husband and I travel by car. When I am traveling there is enough going on around me that I don't want my attention consumed by reading, but I still want to have something quick and easy available. I always take my Kindle Fire on trips and I use that for internet access in the evening. Carrying a Kindle filled with books and magazines is easy for traveling.

stroch

Unread post by stroch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I read constantly at home, and always bring my current novel if I have any kind of appointment, because there is always a wait.
I can't concentrate on anything but where I am and what I will be doing if I'm on vacation. I will take a New Yorker for plane trips because there is a lot of variety in the articles, in length, complexity, and subject, but if I have a window seat and its daytime, I'll look out at the land forms or the cloud tops. On trains, buses, and in cars I'm watching the scenery or the people, even at night. I only am in hotel rooms to sleep.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Reading as a hobby is fairly new to me, but I'm enjoying it.
I joined several book clubs in order to gain some insight on writers, books, and stories that were outside my normal reading material.

I do have a Nook which is very handy for traveling...doesn't take up too much space and is fairly light.
I don't read anything in particular...a "go-to" novel as it were, but generally, take along whatever I have already started or was about to start.

I do enjoy taking a book with me when I dine out. I learned that from 'M Train'. ;)