ONBC's Next Read -- Patti Smith's Devotion

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Our read for early Fall will be Patti Smith's Devotion. A small book that can be read over a day or savored over several weeks, Devotion explores why the writer is driven to write, and how inspiration grows out of life experience. We will accompany Patti on a trip to Paris, a day trip to Sète, a French city on the Mediterranean, and Albert Camus' home in Lourmarin, Provence.

And something new. This time a good portion of the book is dedicated to a short story about obsession, begun by Patti on her trip to Sète and richly illuminated by those fleeting sparks of inspiration that come at writers unexpectedly. A great opportunity to sit with a writer as she creates.

Tidbits will begin on Monday, September 24th.

Please note: the paperback version of Devotion, which will be released September 4th, is 120 pages, approximately twenty pages longer than the hard cover. The ever-committed Fireflydances has ordered this new edition and will provide updates on any differences she finds between the two. The paperback also costs less.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 pm

:lovehearts:
Always excited for a new book discussion! :giddy:

I doubt the paperback version is any different from the hardback. Probably just a different page size and typeset. :bigwink:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm

:loveshower: Tidbits begin tomorrow!

Has everyone had a chance to find a copy of the book? I found a copy at my library. :noodlemantra: It's a quick read and interesting read.

Fireflydances and I are planning 10 tidbits about Patti's thought process, the places she travels, the story she writes, and more! Tidbits will begin Sept. 24 and run every other day. :ONBC:

Then it's on to the questions. :reader:

We'll wrap up by the end of October before everyone gets buried with the holidays. :santajump:

You don't need to read the book to enjoy the tidbits and join the discussion. :zoner:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 pm

I got my copy from Amazon...it arrived today. Time to get reading!

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:57 am

Theresa wrote:I got my copy from Amazon...it arrived today. Time to get reading!

:applause2:

Return to “ONBC”