Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Murder on the Orient Express Question #21: Final Thoughts

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 am

We've come to the end of another book discussion. :sad:
Thanks to everyone who read along and participated. :thanks!:
Feel free to continue commenting on the questions. :press:

What are your final thoughts/ comments on the book?

Are there any topics, clues, or characters you want to mention?

Any question you want to ask?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I saw the 1970s movie before I read the book, so I knew the solution to the mystery before I read the book. For me, that spoiled the book. The story itself is clever and it provided a wealth of tidbit material which I enjoyed very much, even if my schedule did not allow me to do as much research personally.

The cast might encourage young people to see the movie but I doubt if the movie will motivate young people to seek out Murder on the Orient Express or any of Christie's other books after they watch the movie. There are so many ways to enjoy a story these days in addition to old-fashioned "real" paper books. Maybe the way Christie's stories are told has to be updated to stay relevant. Perhaps the movie itself continues Christie's legacy and may be what her family had in mind when they gave it a green light. It was beautifully made!

In the end, ONBC has given me the motivation and opportunity to explore all manner of books and exposed me to enormous amounts of background information on writers and the world. Murder On the Orient Express is one more facet of my ONBC experience. Well done!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am

I have to say that I particularly enjoyed having both the book and the movie to play with. The book alone would not have sustained me, so perhaps that means I need the modern draw also. I need a fresh look to open to something I think I already know sufficiently.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:03 pm

I remember watching the 1970s movie a long time ago and vaguely remembered "who dunnit." I would like to see that version again now.

I enjoyed both the book and the movie. I like her story telling, even if it can seem complicated with a lot of characters pretending to be other characters, I thought she did a wonderful job of keeping things straight and clear. I read the book twice for this discussion and I must admit that I missed things the first time around.

The movie is wonderful to watch and a cinematic spectacle, which is should be. But I do wish more time had been spent with the characters and their development. I understand modern movie audiences wouldn't want to listen to a bunch of people explain their stories...they want to see action, so it was added to the film. The critics said the film slowed down in the second half, but I didn't think that at all. I thought the pace was brisk throughout and wish they had slowed things a bit more. And I didn't care for the way Poirot rushed to judgement on some of the characters just to produce an action sequence. Poirot never rushed to judgement in the books and always thought things through carefully before acting on instinct. It would have made more sense for Bouc to rush to judgement and chase people about with Poirot tagging along.

Return to “ONBC”