Murder on the Orient Express #16: Mrs. Hubbard - Who Is She?

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am

“Mrs. Hubbard arrived in the dining car in such a state of breathless excitement that she was hardly able to articulate her words.” We have two women to consider here -- Christie’s initial take on the American Lady and Branagh’s version. Are these two very different women, or do you see similarities? Has the revised Mrs. Hubbard changed the dynamic of the movie for you? How so?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 pm

I am still pondering this question. Mrs Hubbard is an important character in the story, but the book and movie characters are quite different. The book Hubbard was over the top, almost a cartoon-like exaggeration, while the movie Hubbard was still visible she placed herself center stage in a quieter way. I think movie Hubbard was more believable in today's world, but losing the exaggerated characterization changed something subtle in the story -- atmosphere, perhaps? I am not sure. But if the noisy "my daughter says" character had remained, the movie would have taken on a more comedic air and Ratchett's murder wasn't funny.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm

I actually preferred the book version of the character. Christie likes her psychological profiles and I think the overly loud, somewhat obnoxious woman with all of her caterwauling was designed to deflect attention from the investigation. Humans tend to ignore the ones that make the most ruckus and often pretend not to notice their antics, therefore suspicion would be drawn away from her.

Pfeifer's version, for me, was inconsistent. She was both scatterbrained and sultry. I don't think it worked well or served much of a purpose.

On a side note, I was surprised to find out that was her singing during the end credits. :sing:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 pm

I come down on the side of Michelle Pfeifer. But then I think it is wrong to compare the two. They are basically different women. I would love to know what Agatha would say. And I am not certain she wouldn't go with the updated Hubbard. Christie wrote for her audience, and that is what she would also do today.

Sorry to be missing in action. Thanksgiving, a bad cold and my writing class.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”