Murder on the Orient Express Question #15: Christie's Legacy

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am

Agatha Christie's family believes that her legacy into the 21st Century will remain if the central story is retained but the characters shift more toward present day looks and actions. This could explain some of the changes we've seen in the current movie.

As more Christie movies are being planned, what are your thoughts about "modernizing" the characters and maybe even the settings, but keeping the overall plots the same?

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

I think some may work not sure they all would. They are not dated stories and I think its good to see them as period drama since there is so much that comes out which is present day or futuristic. I can see some charcters may have to be changed due to changing audiences but that is not true to the period. Guess we will see.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I may not be the best person to comment on this because I don't know Christie's work in general, but I thought that the new Orient Express movie handled her story well. The period remained the same and the frame of the story remained true. The changes really aren't that big, but updating the 70s movie to a modern color film with fabulous scenery and well known actors gives it an appeal to a new audience. And maybe that does keep her legacy alive, as long as this careful handling of the original work continues.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 am

I think the modernization is inevitable for the characters, not sure about updating the time and storylines.
While I love the period feeling of her stories (people just don't act and talk like that anymore), I think to keep her a hit with younger audiences, movie makers will need to update things a bit.

The recent MOTOE movie did that by keeping the racism subplots while changing some of the character's races. And it wasn't just an interracial couple, but a couple played by two of the darlings of younger audiences...Daisy Ridley and Leslie Odom. Throwing in Josh "Olaf" Gad was an added youthful touch.

Also changing the opening location from Aleppo to Jerusalem helped somewhat. Perhaps Aleppo is too closely associated with ISIS right now and changing to Jerusalem kept the religious unrest in play without bringing in to focus 21st Century unrest. I rather enjoyed his little joke at the beginning about a priest, a rabbi, and an imam. :-D

There were other subtleties in this movie, too. If done right (and I think it was here), her stories could be modernized for today's audiences while still keeping Christie's legacy alive.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Amazing thing. My daughter came out of the movie telling me she wanted to read Agatha Christie. I explained that the movie was sort of an extended cream puff of the original, that burrowed in on all sorts of areas that hadn't been explored. Giving changes in Hubbard as the example. I will pass the book along to her and see what she thinks.

I would definitely recommend other movie explorations of Christie. The stories are good, and require thought. The film has performed very well. So maybe. Would love to see Branagh do another. Would love to see the same set of people work their ensemble magic again. And, yes, Depp, yes. More please.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”