Murder on the Orient Express #13: Poirot's Decision

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 pm

What do you think of Poirot’s decision to look the other way? Does an investigator have a responsibility to follow the law?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 am

fireflydances wrote:What do you think of Poirot’s decision to look the other way? Does an investigator have a responsibility to follow the law?

In real life maybe, not always in fiction. But he is not an officer of the law.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 pm

I found it interesting that Poirot struggled more in the movie. He really didn't know what to do. I felt it was a more realistic take on how anyone faced with looking away from murder, no matter how warranted, would feel. Completely torn.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

It works in fiction, and it satisfies are certain desire for justice in the reader. I am not sure about real life.

There was a case in Omaha a few years ago where the lead crime scene investigator was convicted of planting evidence and went to prison. (Two innocent men spent a long time in jail because he planted that evidence because he believed they were guilty) But I wonder if sometimes investigators look the other way when they believe someone is innocent, or they want that person to be seen as innocent. In small communities I think it makes a difference who you are and who your family is as to how vigorously you might be pursued.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

In fiction it works well. In real life, not so much.
In the book (and movie), it was easy to see that justice hadn't been carried out on Ratchett/Casetti, although it never really says why. Some technicality, I think. It also never says why everyone is so sure of his guilt.

But I don't believe in mob mentality and vigilante squads for real life. Trial by social media is bad enough, I'm sure we don't want that attitude to take over. The movie does a better job of pointing this out with the subplot of the accused maid who committed suicide, even though she was innocent. There was pressure from all sides to find a kidnapper, so they "found" one, while the real kidnapper escaped.

Nebraska brings up a good point...if police/detectives plant evidence when they think someone is guilty, do they also look the other way when they think someone is innocent? It's certainly possible.

They definitely look the other way when someone is guilty, but a relative! Just had a story from here where a woman's brother was missing and no one in the local sheriff's department would investigate. When a new sheriff took over and brought in detectives from a different district, they found the woman's brother buried on the property of the former sheriff's relative. :grr:

Return to “ONBC”