Murder on the Orient Express Question #11: The Solution of the Murder (spoilers)

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Murder on the Orient Express Question #11: The Solution of the Murder (spoilers)

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am

“And immediately, on that assumption, the entire case fell into beautiful shining order.” (page 307)

We’d like you to examine the story’s resolution from purely as a reader.
Was it a convincing solution for you, or did it leave you unsatisfied.
Or were you confused by a "convoluted plot"?
Tell us which and why.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 am

The book left me unsatisfied. But the scene in the movie that shows Ratchett's death, particularly the expression on the killers' faces, brought home an appreciation for the depth of hatred the crowd had for him. A crowd determined to arrange a shared killing.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm

For me, there were too many characters and too complicated a web of conspiracy for such a short book. I was glad my copy had a cast of characters in the front so I had some hope of keeping them all straight, and still all the various characters on the train plus their counterpart selves in Daisy's world made it all a bit too much for me. However, for seasoned, avid readers of mysteries this all probably seemed very typical of the genre. There is a reason why this story endures and is so beloved.

The sticking point for me may be how Ratchett had escaped the legal consequences of killing Daisy. It seemed to be a given fact, known even to Poirot, that he was the culprit. And yet he was free as a bird.

I have no trouble with the ending, it was all set up neatly to end the way it did, once you suspend the disbelief of all the rest.

Return to “ONBC”