Murder on the Orient Express Question #10: Johnny as Ratchett

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 am

What is your first impression of Johnny as Ratchett, based on the trailers?

If you’ve seen the movie, did your first impressions hold up?

His version of the character is very different from the book's description. What are your thoughts?

marija

Unread postby marija » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm

:wave: I've watched it for the second time, this evening.
I think the whole movie is slightly different from the book and other versions of MOTOE. But for me it's one of the most beautiful versions. As I wrote before , Johnny isn't playing Rachet...he IS Rachett. Much more authentic as Richard Widmark for example. This last adaptation is more made for the current audiences. In a bit more modern way with a bit more action in it instead ' only' using ' the grey cells of Poirot' . One can miss the cleverness of him a bit, but I like this version more because Poirot and Rachet have more interactions than in the others.
And Johnny is the most elegant gangster in this series. :heartdance:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 pm

My impression from the movie is that he is sly and charming. It will be interesting to see how I perceive his character after I go to the cinema.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I saw the movie today, so now I can say no, my first impression from the trailers didn't hold up. I didn't find anything about Ratchett to be charming, which means Johnny did a superb job in the role. He was meant to be evil and unsympathetic, and he was. Some of that may have been because his character wasn't developed in any depth. We saw Whitey Bulger with his mother and brother, we saw Dillinger with his friends and his girl, so we got to see a human side of them. There was nothing redeeming to see in Ratchett. :mad:

Sweeney Todd

Unread postby Sweeney Todd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm

nebraska wrote:There was nothing redeeming to see in Ratchett. :mad:

Perhaps that's the point.
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

marija

Unread postby marija » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 am

Sweeney Todd wrote:
nebraska wrote:There was nothing redeeming to see in Ratchett. :mad:

Perhaps that's the point.

:agreesign: and Johnny shows it perfectly.
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm

I've only seen the movie once and will go again this week.
But from the trailers and first viewing, I'm not sure I like the gangster angle.
His voice reminded me of a cross between Whitey Bulger and George Jung.
I suppose a younger, more dapper gangster plays better with Michelle's Hubbard and works best with this adaptation.

But in the book, Ratchett was an older, gray-haired man with an ugly face and wreaked of pure evil. I think that character works better in Christie's version. I would never have thought in terms of a gangster while reading it.

I wish Johnny was in it longer to establish his "evilness" better. I'm not sure his portrayal wreaks pure evil, but perhaps those scenes were left on the cutting room floor. Mean and rude, yes, but I'm not sure about evil.

I guess I wanted to see an older, more evil Johnny. :lol: Maybe like a Fagan from Oliver Twist.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 am

He didn't strike me as that evil either. Physically, he was stunning and the character came off as egotistical, crude and incapable of honesty. I thought Johnny created a very believable character who I wish had been on the scene longer. More scenes might have given us the depth needed to capture evil.

I frankly think that the book/movie is flawed in presenting Ratchett as the killer. The personality was too noisy to be the type of killer that would steal into a house to grab a small child. Setting up such a crime, perhaps killing the killer -- I would believe that but Ratchett simply didn't have that cruelness. (Although I think those that knew him described him as cruel.)

I would love Johnny to be both despicable and absolutely charming. I loved him Public Enemies. More glamour maybe, more ego.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 pm

The movie Ratchett character struck me as a small time crook, a phony dealer in the art world who was selling bad forgeries and not doing a very good job of it. His accent sounded much like some of Johnny's gangster characters, but I think it was intended to convey a region of the country rather than his criminal state. The Lindbergh kidnapping happened in New Jersey, so perhaps the idea was to place Ratchett in the East Coast area at the time of Daisy's death. Yes, as Snoopy said he was mean and rude, and he was also arrogant. I didn't see him as evil so much as just plain disgusting. :no2: I don't think he really needed to be old like he was in the book. So many of the other movie characters were young-ish, and so logically Ratchett couldn't have been elderly or he would not have been able to commit the original crime.

Return to “ONBC”