Murder on the Orient Express Question #6 the Era?

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: fireflydances, Liz

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:39 am

Do you think this story, either book or movie, is forever set in the 1930s?

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:21 am

I think it certainly should. Not sure it would work as a modern era story. Anyway the costumes and setting look good in the 30's :lol:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Well the book certainly is, but I would think an imaginative movie maker could update it somehow.

Shakespeare has been moved into all sorts of time periods and locations. Richard III was set in 1930s England, Romeo and Juliet into gang settings in 1950s West Side Story and 1990s Leo DiCaprio version.

I do love the look and glamour of the 1930s setting for this story, though. And the strangers you meet on the train concept. It would take some work, but I think it could done.

Dusi

Unread postby Dusi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I think it could be altered and could play in a time between 1930s and 1990s. Simply because everybody nowadays has a smartphone and internet access and this wouldn't be good for the story. I especially liked the absence of telephone and cellphones. Poirot could google the suspects and that's it. How boring.
Free lunch, final wisdom, total coverage... why not?
Couldn't resist mate!
A kiss without a beard is like an egg without salt. :-)

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:Well the book certainly is, but I would think an imaginative movie maker could update it somehow.

Shakespeare has been moved into all sorts of time periods and locations. Richard III was set in 1930s England, Romeo and Juliet into gang settings in 1950s West Side Story and 1990s Leo DiCaprio version.

I do love the look and glamour of the 1930s setting for this story, though. And the strangers you meet on the train concept. It would take some work, but I think it could done.

I hate that I like my Shakespeare in period

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

I guess when it comes to Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story, I think they are similar stories but I certainly don't see West Side Story's gang wars being the same thing as a family feud in Shakespeare's day. If you want to stretch analogies, Dances With Wolves could be construed as a Romeo and Juliet version. :bored:

But I know West Side Story is always talked about as being a modern Romeo and Juliet.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 pm

In my part of the country, the Union Pacific Railroad played a major role in history. The Durham Museum is housed in Omaha's Union Station from the railroad's heyday and there are a couple of railroad museums in Council Bluffs, Iowa across the river. When touring the old rail cars and artifacts in those museums you can get a sense of the luxury aboard period trains. It is more than luxury, it is romance and opulence and atmosphere. A friend of mine used to serve as a docent at the Durham, and I remember him showing me where the passenger's shoes were put after being shined for them by the train's staff. A cruise ship might be the closest thing in our modern world, but some quality of the elegance would be missing. There is just something about those old trains that I haven't experienced any place else. For me it is an integral part of the story.

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 am

Dusi wrote:I think it could be altered and could play in a time between 1930s and 1990s. Simply because everybody nowadays has a smartphone and internet access and this wouldn't be good for the story. I especially liked the absence of telephone and cellphones. Poirot could google the suspects and that's it. How boring.

I hadn't thought of that. But yes, Google and similar websites would ruined the story totally, seeing that at least some of the people would have been mentioned in the media/gossip mags :lol: And that would make the movie much shorter :biggrin:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 am

nebraska wrote:I guess when it comes to Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story, I think they are similar stories but I certainly don't see West Side Story's gang wars being the same thing as a family feud in Shakespeare's day. If you want to stretch analogies, Dances With Wolves could be construed as a Romeo and Juliet version. :bored:

But I know West Side Story is always talked about as being a modern Romeo and Juliet.

It's not just talk. The creators did use Romeo and Juliet as the basis for their story. And, yes, the Sharks and Jets are modern day Capulets and Montagues. The stories are the same, just updated for a 1950s audience.

The 1968 movie version was more true to Shakespeare, but the 1996 version by Baz Luhrmann was very modern with bloody gang wars and automatic weapons instead of swords. I think the balcony scene was changed to an elevator. But they still spoke Shakespeare's words. Very strange to me, but that's Baz Luhrmann.

That is what I meant by some creative in Hollywood or Broadway would need to change the story a bit to modernize it.

I agree with GG about a more traditional Shakespeare setting and period...the language doesn't seem right otherwise.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 am

meeps wrote:
Dusi wrote:I think it could be altered and could play in a time between 1930s and 1990s. Simply because everybody nowadays has a smartphone and internet access and this wouldn't be good for the story. I especially liked the absence of telephone and cellphones. Poirot could google the suspects and that's it. How boring.

I hadn't thought of that. But yes, Google and similar websites would ruined the story totally, seeing that at least some of the people would have been mentioned in the media/gossip mags :lol: And that would make the movie much shorter :biggrin:

That's an easy fix...if they are stranded on a train in the Alps, there wouldn't be an internet signal. :grin:

meeps

Unread postby meeps » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am

Eh - oops :harhar: :yahoo: :biglaugh: True :applause2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 am

My guess is the family really didn't want to update it out of the 1930s. I swear I read an article early on where Branagh was talking about a serious update, but haven't been able to locate it again.

My own opinion? Do not update because the 1930s is an iconic era. All those Thirties movies (Astaire, Gable, Tracey etc) are embedded in our brains -- we "feel" the era so deeply although our take is not so much a real Thirties as it is the myth of the Thirties.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 am

fireflydances wrote:My guess is the family really didn't want to update it out of the 1930s. I swear I read an article early on where Branagh was talking about a serious update, but haven't been able to locate it again.

My own opinion? Do not update because the 1930s is an iconic era. All those Thirties movies (Astaire, Gable, Tracey etc) are embedded in our brains -- we "feel" the era so deeply although our take is not so much a real Thirties as it is the myth of the Thirties.

:agreesign: I love the 1930s setting and the movie romance it evokes.

It's nice not to have everything in present day.

Return to “ONBC”