Murder on the Orient Express Question #5: Who Done It?

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: fireflydances, Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Is there one or more characters that you were convinced, early on, must be the murderer? Who and why did you think they were “it” ?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Can't answer that one, since I haven't read the book and even if I had I knew the movies backwards , and the first time I watched the movie was in the 70's

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I watched the 70s movie before I read the book so I knew who done it before I read the book. My mind was more on the way the characters and story lines corresponded to the movie. I think I learned a big lesson about not spoiling a good book by watching the movie first.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:23 am

Similar to GG, I saw the film in the 70s. Can't really remember too many details about my feelings at the time, but I enjoyed the story.

I also enjoyed the book even though I remembered the plot. Murder on the Nile is the other movie I saw, but I can't remember a thing about that one.

As with any mystery, always follow the money...who has it, who wants, who has the best means of getting it.
But this wasn't about money, Ratchett wasn't murdered for his wealth, although he did kidnap the little girl for her family's money.
It was a crime of passion and those are always more difficult to predict.

I love how Christie weaves the characters stories, both real and fake. Very clever. She had to create a story not only for the murder, but a back story for all of the fake characterizations/histories of the those riding the train. Everyone getting on at a different location, everyone with a phony passport, everyone with a story, clothing and mannerisms of their own.

Typically in a mystery, you have many suspects and everyone has an alibi, except the murderer's is more in doubt. Here again, Christie has all of the alibis intertwined with the fake characters, making it confusing as to who could have done it.

I'm sure the plot twist we know so well now was quite unexpected in its day.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:19 am

I've seenDeath on the Nile loads of times too

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 am

This is going to sound really weird. I read the book. I saw the movie and yet, strangely although possibly deliberately, I forgot the ending. Given that, I was quite suspicious about Hubbard. Quite complicated chronology of events.

Am I really the only airhead out there who both reads and sees a thing and then puff, the book is born anew?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”