Murder on the Orient Express Question #4: Fun and Games

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:37 am

As the Zone's "Game Warden," I was picked to post this one. :lol:

Have you been following along with the clues presented by Murder on the Orient Express at their site? :sherlockholmes:

Have you tried playing their game and guessing answers from the clues presented in the advertising? :mallet:

What do you think about this strategy for building audience enthusiasm? :mortdecai1:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:43 pm

When the animated Rango movie was coming out, the website that went with that movie was great fun! I remember playing the game over and over, downloading the screensaver, etc. and chatting with other Zone members about how much fun we were having.

I haven't looked at the Murder On the Orient Express site for a while, but I see today that more "clues" have been added. I need to find a cheat sheet to unravel this all. ;) I find the "clue" thing confusing, and it appears some of the clues are a commercial for products like jewelry and chocolates? I also find all the brown and dark colors to not be very appealing.

This movie website is obviously looking for a more sophisticated audience than the Rango film's website. I am sure a lot of thought went into creating the Murder website; time will tell if the marketing strategy is successful or not.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:12 pm

It doesn't work on my tablet so I can't see it

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 am

I love games! :loveshower:

I loved the Rango site, too. That was silly and fun. :rango1:

I tried playing the clue games for MOTOE and found them extremely difficult, even with the "hints" they provide. I just have no idea what they want for an answer. The only clue I could guess was Godiva! :lol: But I have no idea about the pipe. I felt like I named everyone on the train, but never got the correct answer...even after watching all of the trailers (which was the hint). I also couldn't figure out the country on the postage stamp after naming every country in Europe, the Middle East, USA, Canada, and parts of Africa. The image on the stamp looks like the Tokatlian Hotel which is in Turkey which apparently isn't the correct answer. :spin:
And I never would have known the answer for the watch had I not read the book.

I finally got bored and just stopped playing.

I think if you make the games too difficult and less fun, people won't be drawn to them and the money spent will be wasted.
I thought the Rango ploy worked very well, but I can't say the same for MOTOE. :sad:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:43 pm

I gotvthe thing to load but there were no directions about whatvto do

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:I gotvthe thing to load but there were no directions about whatvto do

I think (and I think Snoopy agrees) the website is poorly designed. :no2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 pm

I kinda agree that it wasn't as well designed as Rango. You could really use (play) Rango a lot of different ways. I used to love just looking at the night sky sometimes and the little bell sound the stars made. I could do that for a longer period than I will admit to, and the telephone poles. Sigh. It felt mystical to me -- I am a sucka for the Old West! I was excited to find MOTOE's game, but the clues were way too challenging, and once I discovered you could go to someone's Twitter site and find the answers, it made it less interesting, less playful. I guess I wanted MORE after you put into the answer and gave you some stuff to look at. I think they should have made it more interactive, so you could end up in weird rabbit hole dead end and still eventually recover.

Still, I am glad they tried. And I am glad I played with it.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

EfrenHis

Unread postby EfrenHis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am

I think that's an example of great and meaningful marketing. I really like when they put effort like that into it and not just forcefeed the audience.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 pm

EfrenHis wrote:I think that's an example of great and meaningful marketing. I really like when they put effort like that into it and not just forcefeed the audience.

:welcome: EfrenHis!

Welcome to the Zone and the ONBC! Thanks for chiming in on the question. Feel free to comment on our previous questions as well.

I agree. :highfive: I think movie marketers need to do more in this day and age than just have a few trailers. All of us have some sort of device (phone, tablet, laptop) and I think the fun and games approach is perfect to get people more involved in the movie experience.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Remember the POTC Volvo game with puzzle clues giving a latitude and longitude to the next puzzle? I was obsessed with it! Nothing loads with the MOTOE site; ancient laptop.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 pm

I missed the POTC game. But I remember the 9th Gate screensaver. I used that one for a long, long time until it became too outdated to work on the newer computers.

Funny, we remember these old movie web sites. I don't think the Orient Express website will have that sort of lasting impression!

Return to “ONBC”