Murder on the Orient Express Question #2 Good Idea to Make a New Film?

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Talking about the movie, Kenneth Branagh said, “We are very excited to share the promise and potential of this work.” What do you think about the idea of making a new Murder on the Orient Express? Also, what do you think Branagh had in mind when he said the new movie would share the "promise and potential" of Agatha's book.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:28 pm

I really don't know what Branagh meant. Is he implying that somehow the previous movie or the book itself was lacking? I saw the 1970s movie before I read the book and I loved it. It seemed very true to the time in which the story was set, the characters and actors were very good. The only problem I had was that I could not understand Poirot very well, I ended up watching it a second time with subtitles because it seemed to me he mumbled; but then, I think that is part of the way the character was written. I have trouble imagining how a new modern look with somebody else's ideas and twists could improve on the original Christie. Yes, the movie was a bit dated, but some originals deserve to be preserved as is. Because I love Mr Depp, I am trying to keep an open mind and perhaps I will feel differently after I have seen the new film. But for now I am apprehensive.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Maybe he has made it much truer to the book. Since I have not read it I don't know how close to the book the 1974 film was, although from the snippets I have read I think the new version has some changes in characters, so that would not be sticking to the book . Maybe though that is what he means that Christies writing is such that it has the potential to be developed and elaborated beyond the scope of the written word to make it more rounded out.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Maybe he has made it much truer to the book. Since I have not read it I don't know how close to the book the 1974 film was, although from the snippets I have read I think the new version has some changes in characters, so that would not be sticking to the book . Maybe though that is what he means that Christies writing is such that it has the potential to be developed and elaborated beyond the scope of the written word to make it more rounded out.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Christie's books are very play-like, heavily dialogue driven, and therefore more amenable than many older books to changes in presentation. There can be many different Poirots without losing the essence of Poirot. Equally, there can be many ways of being a gangster while retaining that gangster heart,which would be recognizable to all sorts of audiences. I think,too, of the multiple versions of Shakespearean plays that have been produced over the years, all retaining the same spirit, same concerns, even if the costuming changes, or the location of the story.

I think movies age more rapidly than books do. I have been horrified by the fact that neither one of my daughters is interested in Dr. Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia. Those movies were utterly magnificent, but today's audiences find them word-heavy and slow. Boring. How do we retain compelling stories without requiring them to be presented as if it was sixty, seventy or eighty years ago? Can Depp's Ratchett bring something new to a character that Richard Widmark played differently? Right now we don't know. We'll see.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 am

fireflydances wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Maybe he has made it much truer to the book. Since I have not read it I don't know how close to the book the 1974 film was, although from the snippets I have read I think the new version has some changes in characters, so that would not be sticking to the book . Maybe though that is what he means that Christies writing is such that it has the potential to be developed and elaborated beyond the scope of the written word to make it more rounded out.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Christie's books are very play-like, heavily dialogue driven, and therefore more amenable than many older books to changes in presentation. There can be many different Poirots without losing the essence of Poirot. Equally, there can be many ways of being a gangster while retaining that gangster heart,which would be recognizable to all sorts of audiences. I think,too, of the multiple versions of Shakespearean plays that have been produced over the years, all retaining the same spirit, same concerns, even if the costuming changes, or the location of the story.

I think movies age more rapidly than books do. I have been horrified by the fact that neither one of my daughters is interested in Dr. Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia. Those movies were utterly magnificent, but today's audiences find them word-heavy and slow. Boring. How do we retain compelling stories without requiring them to be presented as if it was sixty, seventy or eighty years ago? Can Depp's Ratchett bring something new to a character that Richard Widmark played differently? Right now we don't know. We'll see.

I agree, some movies definatley seem to age and not always in a good way.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:34 am

I, for one, don't have a problem with remakes or a "re-imagining" of a familiar story. Every filmmaker sees the potential for any story to be reimagined in some way. Branagh has certainly done his best to make Shakespeare relevant again so it will be interesting to see what Branagh has done with this.

The previous movie was 40+ years ago and many of today's movie goers probably haven't heard of it or seen it. The cast now, as then, is spread among acting legends (names everyone would know, regardless of age) and the younger stars that kids would know from Star Wars, Frozen/Beauty and the Beast, etc. So it should attract a wide viewership.

It's opening between weekends of superheroes, Thor this weekend and The Justice League the weekend after, so it's in a good slot. It's also before the big glut of Oscar hopefuls arriving post-Thanksgiving through Christmas.

It seems that a lot of careful thought and planning has gone into its cast, direction/filming, budget, marketing, and release date.

I'd see the movie with or without Depp as I enjoy the plot and characters, plus the other actors in the cast.

Return to “ONBC”