Murder on the Orient Express Question #1: The Mystery of Mystery Stories

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 am

Theresa wrote:I guess that mysteries have always been a part of my reading...and watching. I used to read Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys books, and I read all the Trixie Belden books (like Nancy Drew but the heroine was younger, only 13 years old). Nowadays, I like reading the cozy mysteries...mystery, but with a lighter touch.

As for TV, I wouldn't miss a single episode of Ellery Queen, with Jim Hutton. I particularly loved how just before the last commercial, he would talk to the camera and let us know that we now had all the clues necessary to solve the mystery. So you had the short break to try and figure it out before the show came back on.

Jim Hutton :truefan:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 am

stroch wrote:Already late to the discussion :bigwave: I read a lot of mysteries because there are so many in the public library. P.D. James, Elizabeth George, and Dorothy Sayers are among my favorites, since I like a lot of description.
Theresa, I too read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, but the boys seemed to have the better adventures!
Netflix seems to think that I'm most interested in mysteries since they fill my suggestions screen. Their algorithms must be right. I like the ones set in England, as the actors look more like real humans, and the gore is more restrained.

:girlwave2:
Welcome aboard!

I get all the mystery algorithms from Barnes and Noble, too. :lol: I think it's been based on my purchases for ONBC books. :lol: We/Johnny reads a lot of mystery and detective stories. :agree2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 pm

:waiting:
stroch wrote:Already late to the discussion :bigwave: I read a lot of mysteries because there are so many in the public library. P.D. James, Elizabeth George, and Dorothy Sayers are among my favorites, since I like a lot of description.
Theresa, I too read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, but the boys seemed to have the better adventures!
Netflix seems to think that I'm most interested in mysteries since they fill my suggestions screen. Their algorithms must be right. I like the ones set in England, as the actors look more like real humans, and the gore is more restrained.

I like the ones set in England, too, and Wales. I am obsessed with Hinterland. Dark moody scenery, protagonist and stories. A beauty of a show. Another favorite is Amazon -- Bosch. Oh jeez, such a compelling show that I always gulp down the night the next season is released.

And so glad to see you! You are not LATE. I, in fact, am late. I posted my Wednesday question today! Late work missy!! :dunce:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 am

fireflydances wrote::waiting:

I like the ones set in England, too, and Wales. I am obsessed with Hinterland. Dark moody scenery, protagonist and stories. A beauty of a show. Another favorite is Amazon -- Bosch. Oh jeez, such a compelling show that I always gulp down the night the next season is released.

And so glad to see you! You are not LATE. I, in fact, am late. I posted my Wednesday question today! Late work missy!! :dunce:

Hinterland is a good one, so is Shetland

Return to “ONBC”