Happy birthday to ONBC!

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

nebraska

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 am

Happy 14th birthday Oprah Noodlemantra's Book Club! :ONBC:

At 2 minutes past midnight on Halloween Night, November 1 2003, ONBC officially came to life beginning with its first book, "Secret Window, Secret Garden" by Stephen King. In the fourteen years since then more than 50 books have been discussed and hundreds of tidbits have been shared. There have been a dozen or so fantastic interviews with authors and other people closely related to one of our books. It speaks to the quality of ONBC that so many special people have been willing to share themselves with us.

The books have all had a relationship of some sort to Johnny Depp. Johnny continues his self-education with reading. He is frequently pictured carrying a book or reading in his spare time. Zoners who are privileged to meet him often ask "What are you reading?" The answer is usually something amazing and surprising. And just as he is an actor who disappears like a chameleon into roles that are widely varied, his reading habits display a kaleidoscope of interests for us to follow. Along with his personal reading interests we have read books that relate to his movie roles (or potential roles) and his professional interests (like publishing in the case of House of Earth). The ONBC selections have as varied as classical literature, stage plays, and modern crime doumentaries. We have read everything from a book about theoretical physics to children's stories.

To celebrate ONBC's anniversary, let's take a minute to chat and reminisce. Do you remember the Monday Night Thread? Have you met any other Noodlemantras in person?

Do you read the books, follow the discussions, delve into the tidbits? Do you have a favorite among the books we have discussed? What made it memorable?

Do you have a favorite Q&A or did something you read in the tidbits make a lasting impression for you? Did one of the "road trips" inspire you to travel?

Even if you just drop by from time to time to see what is going on here, take a moment to celebrate with us! Fourteen years is a remarkable achievement! :cheers:

marija

Re: Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby marija » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am

:birthdaysign1: :ONBC:
It's a long time ...14 years. I think this thread last so long because each book you've discussed is very interesting in it's own way. I'm a member of this zone since 2012... so I've missed several books, but a few you've read I have bought also. I'm not often join your discusses but I follow them always.
My favorite book or books are 'Shantaram' and ' Mountain Shadows '. Shantaram was the first book I've read in English.
I want to thank the moderators for their huge preparation...so many interesting facts and information to the themes or locations which are mentioned in the books.
Thank you all very much and congratulations to this wonderful place. Namaste :namaste:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:04 pm

:birthdayballoon: :noodlemantra:
Happy birthday Noodlemantras!

nebraska

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:01 pm

I have been around since book #1 and I have read and participated every book discussion since, but I must admit I have probably forgotten more than I remember and I didn't understand very much of Parallel Worlds when I read it :hypnotic: . There have been a couple of books I didn't care for at all and some that I loved, but I have persevered through all of them. It has certainly opened my world! I can remember during Perfume (the second book) being completely amazed by the knowledge of the women in ONBC and how much I was learning.

Back when I was still working, the Monday Night Thread was a special treat for me. I didn't have a lot of spare computer time, but I enjoyed those chat sessions immensely. It was sad when they ended. Of course, now that I am retired I have immersed myself in the Daily Thread, but there was a special quality about the Monday Night Thread that made me feel connected.

I know a lot of real life friendships were formed at ONBC and many of them continue to this day even though participation in the book club has ended. There is a certain connection between the readers here, intelligent, eager to explore, compassionate ... I have always felt Johnny attracts the best people.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I wasn't there at the beginning. In fact, I joined the Zone and really didn't wander into ONBC for some time. Amazing for me to realize that. Once I fell however, I fell very hard and was thoroughly entranced by the tidbits and the discussions. Meaty discussions, thought-provoking, mind-opening. I have always been a reader, but as an adult I read more nonfiction than fiction. That is BJ -- before Johnny. I wish the guy realized how many women he turned on to amazing writers simply by carrying books around. I am not the woman I was before. ONBC, long may we have this wonderful space to explore books.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:24 pm

I joined the Zone back in 2005 just so I could join in on the wonderful Shantaram book discussion. In fact, the Zone was the first forum I ever joined...and it's the only one I participate in. And all because of ONBC and Johnny's love of reading.

I've read almost every book ONBC has done since Shantaram (yes, I did miss one or two of them) and of all those books, the only one I didn't like was The Ginger Man. I loved Shantaram, Attica (I've even read that one more than once), Good Omens, and yes, even Parallel Worlds! Not to mention all the other fascinating books we've read.

Tidbits? Love them ALL! Every single one from every single book. :loveshower:

Happy Birthday to ONBC and long may it continue! :ONBC:

Dusi

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby Dusi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:40 pm

14 years?! Congrats and Depphugs from me. :bouquet:

I don't participate very much, but I often read the comments and I especially enjoy the tidbits. I learnt a lot from them. Hubby sometimes just rolls his eyes when I tell him, I'm reading a book recommended by the Noodlemantras at the JD Zone. :lol:

So far I read:
I Fatty
Shantaram
The Mountain Shadow
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Secret Window Secret Garden
Chocolate
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Club Dumas
Loser's Town
Alice in Wonderland
Life
House of Earth
Lost honor of Katharina Blum
Murder on the Orient Express

Every book was interesting in it's own way. But I liked I Fatty, Chocolate, Life and Shantaram best. 3 biographies and one magic story about a witch searching for her place in life.

So thank you for all the time you put into ONBC and all the research you do. :notworthy:
Free lunch, final wisdom, total coverage... why not?
Couldn't resist mate!
A kiss without a beard is like an egg without salt. :-)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Oh, Dusi that is just wonderful to hear! I am convinced we have more readers than we realize. And I like your list of choices. Thank you so much. I now have a big smile on my face.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Jackslady

Happy birthday to ONBC!

Unread postby Jackslady » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Congratulations Noodlemantras! I'm afraid I haven't participated in a long while, but I remember enjoying the discussions for The Libertine play and The Price of Freedom especially. It's a lot of fun to share enjoyment of a book with others.

The Libertine was my first introduction to Wilmot, and I eventually built up a big collection of books on him, to which I am still adding. In 2006 did a walking tour of places in Oxfordshire where he lived and enjoyed sharing the info with people on the forum. Goodness, that is eleven years ago, were does the time go?! I absolutely loved A C Crispin's book about Jack, as she captured him so perfectly. I'm going to read it again soon as I am in the middle of writing a Jack fan fiction and I need to refresh my memory about his beginnings. Seeing young Jack in P5 reminded me about the book and how much I'd enjoyed it.

I always have books on the go, ironically that's the reason I haven't joined in for a very long while, as it's difficult to fit everything in and allow time to participate etc. Also I was off the Zone for several years, nothing against Johnny at all, I just had a lot of other stuff going on in my life at that time. So happy to be back. :spin:

Just remembered, I joined the Shantaram discussions as well. I don't think I'd have read the book were it not for ONBC, as I did find it quite a difficult read and I remember finding the ONBC posts extremely helpful. I ended up enjoying the story and I still think it's a shame it didn't get made as a film with Johnny in the lead.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Return to “ONBC”