The Mountain Shadow Question #25 - FINAL THOUGHTS

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: fireflydances, Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi Noodlemantras,

We come again to the end of a discussion.......but let's continue discussing.

This is the last question, though.

Do you have any final thoughts or anything else you want to discuss that we did not bring up?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Sequels are a slippery slope. I have seen that in movies and I have seen it in television (usually in the form of spin offs). Sometimes sequels work and amplify what was good in the original. Sometimes sequels and spin offs even outshine the original. And so I could not wait to read the Mountain Shadow, I expected to have the same reader's high I experienced with Shantaram. It didn't happen for me. Maybe it was the length of the book, the darker tone that Dusi described, the philosophical lectures, the scattered story of too many characters (although I actually found some of the side stories more interesting that the central characters. Being involved with so many people made Lin's story seem more real, most of us don't live in a narrow vacuum). I am not sure what caused my disappointment.

Perhaps the very fact of being a sequel creates an unrealistic goal for any artistic medium. I will never forget the very first glimpse of Captain Jack Sparrow coming ashore on a sinking boat. It literally took my breath away. No POTC sequel will ever equal that moment. And no Shantaram sequel can be expected to live up to my affection for Prabu or the comfort and joy I shared with Lin as he met the slum dwellers and found acceptance and peace living among them.

I wonder if my feelings would have been different for the Mountain Shadow if it had been a stand-alone book. I might have had an entirely different reaction if I had approached it without the expectations created by my Shantaram experience.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Shantaram was a more alive book for me than The Mountain Shadow. I felt its energy, like the story was pulling us forward. I didn't feel that for The Mountain Shadow. I felt like I was going in circles instead of learning new things about Lin and what he was discovering.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:35 pm

I guess I was the only one to like both books. I thought Lin's journey went full circle and he finally found some peace at the end. Maybe it helped that I read them back to back instead of years apart. Sometimes time plays a big role in how we remember things (wasn't that one of the discussion questions?).

When you love a book and revel in it, like Shantaram, you build it up in your mind and remember all the great things about it, forgetting perhaps some of the bad things. Then, years later, you read a sequel, hoping it will live up to 6 years worth of anticipation. It rarely does.

Same with movies...I think the movies work best when you can watch all of them back to back instead of several years apart. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Raiders of the lost Ark, The Hobbit, The Godfather, POTC, etc. You have these huge, sweeping epics with many characters and subplots and twists, and you are expected to keep it all straight until the next installment. In the meantime, you build up wonderful memories and great anticipation, but forget some of the plot loopholes or character faults. Until the sequel... :yikes:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Snoopy, you certainly are a prime example of what I love about ONBC! Thankyou for sharing your insights. You obviously got a lot more out of the books than I did, but now that you have explained what you saw in the story it seems so obvious and it all makes much more sense to me. I wish GDR had been able to make things as clear in his rambling. :rolleyes:

As usual, when a discussion ends, I have a desire to read the book again with the additional information and insight that I gained from talking to all of you here as well soaking up the tid bits. I did re-read Shantaram before I read the Mountain Shadow and I understood a lot of Shantaram's story the second time through., particularly the Afghanistan portion. So another reading of the Mountain Shadow might be good. Some day! Maybe.

Return to “ONBC”