Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: fireflydances, Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Mountain Shadow Question #24 - Favorite Passages

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am

What were your favorite passages?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Several of my favorite passages already showed up in the Q&A here, but I will double check my book.

I just want to remark that I frequently underline a lot of passages in GDR's books. I will be reading along, absorbed in the story, and suddenly some random sentence or phrase will take my breath away. He writes so beautifully! so elegantly! he is one of my favorite writers from that viewpoint. I think that is why I was so disappointed when there were long rambling philosophical discussions and numerous aphorism battles -- GDR writes so much better prose than any of those verbal scenes between characters demonstrated. He could have done away with those lengthy scenes and written one or two sentences that would have transformed my heart.

Back later with some of those passages.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 pm

I can't get to it myself tonight. I left my book at a friend's house. I will respond tomorrow or next day.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:15 pm

After all these years of participating in the ONBC books, why have I not learned to mark favorite passages as I read the book?

I can never find them later...

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:43 pm

page 428 "Moonlight wrote tree poems on the road."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:47 pm

page 782 Every pedestal is taller than the man who sits on it.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Favorite passages. I am left with pictures in my head. Mumbai in general. It feels lush, hot, dirty, with all kinds of smells and sounds (motorcycles, bike chimes, buses). The walk up to where the wise man lived in the hills above Mumbai. I can still feel that climb and then the peace of sitting on the flat wide ledges. The Tuareg's house, the rugs, his wife. The place where everyone gathers to drink and talk. Roberts does an excellent job of creating place, so that you feel you may actually be there (or wouldn't be surprised if someone said they saw you there once.) So my favorite passage I guess is place. And any book that convinces you that you've absorbed something of a place miles and miles distant. But you''ve been there, yes?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am

Here is a rather lengthy passage that demonstrates the way GDR writes so beautifully and is such a pleasure to read. I can just see him sitting there, writing, trying to capture every essence of his departed friends so that he can hold them in his mind and heart forever.

pages 674-5
I wrote pages of notes on Nazeer. Departed loved ones never leave the heart, but the living picture of them fades, paled in memory's river. I wanted to write Nazeer, before I couldn't. I wanted to write those eyes, so often like the eyes of an animal, a hunting animal, unknowable and capable of anything: those mountain eyes, born in sight of the planet's peak, that were so seldom lamps inside the cave of his tenderness.
I wrote the humor, hidden in ravines of his grimacing. I wrote the shadow that covered his face in any light, as if the ashen end was stamped on his face from the beginning.
I wrote his hands, those Komodo claws, the dark earth of early labour years branding them for life: Martian canals of lines and wrinkles on his knuckled fingers, some of them as deep as cuts from a knife.
I wrote Tariq. I wrote about the little beads of sweat that broke out on his lip whenever he was pretending to be someone else. I wrote the precision in his movements, as if his life was a tea ceremony that never ended.
And I wrote how handsome he was. There was a handsome man already growing in the awkward boy: a face that would make girls think about him at least twice, and a brave eye that would challenge every man he met.
I tried to write him, to keep him, to save him, and Nazeer, in words that might live.
I wrote until something ran out, or everything ran out, and I reached that place where words stop and thinking stops and there's only emotion, feeling, a lonely heartbeat sounding through colder depths of ocean inside, and I slept, dreaming of Karla, pulling me from a house on fire, her kisses burning love on my skin.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Those really are beautiful nebraska, especially the last few lines.

I found the description of the Tuareg's house that impressed me, left me seeing it still.

Page 592 --
He led me through his house, constructed with archways everywhere, as if the home was a hive, and we were the bees.
"I hope you understand --I have to run you past my wife, first, to see if she approves of you being here."
"I....see"
We walked through several archways to a space where the second floor of the house vanished in a high ceiling.
There was a woman in the centre of that room, standing on a platform three steps high. She was dressed in a glittering black burkha, studded with black jewels. There was a net of lace covering her face: her eyes could examine mine, but I couldn't examine hers.
I didn't know if I was supposed to say anything. The Tuareg had sent a message, and I'd responded. I had no idea what to expect, facing a woman covered with black stars.
From the tilt of her head I saw she was looking me up and down several times. I don't think she liked what she saw. Her head cocked to one side. considering the matter.
"One hour," she said, her head still on the side as she twirled away through an archway, that led to an archway, that led to an archway.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”