The Mountain Shadow Question #16--Fate

Devotion by ‎Patti Smith

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

" 'You want to know how Fate works, because you want to fight with Fate, isn't it' Idriss asked. 'Your instinct is to fight, if you feel yourself under threat. You think that Fate is fighting with you, and you want to gain an advantage in the struggle.' " the Mountain Shadow page 470

Do you believe in Fate? What part do you think Fate plays in our lives?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:02 pm

I believe in fate. Fate has shown itself to me throughout my life. Played a major part in my life. I always see it after the aha moment - the moment that I realize why things happened the way they did.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

I don't know that I believe in Fate. Very Irish thing, belief in Fate you know? The idea that I had no real chance to go this way instead of that, it bothers me, and I guess that's why I hold that we make our fate, and looking backward we see how our choices created the life we have.

I do, however, believe in extremely weird coincidence, and perhaps that's what some mean by "fate." People have entered my life in very curious ways, so curious that I can't imagine even attempting to logically explain what happened. But it's not about choice or chance, it's more about the universe reveling itself, if that makes any sense.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm

I also am bothered by the idea that Fate takes away my choices and my ability to achieve things in my life. There is a fine line between believing in Fate and having despair.

I think a Higher Power set the world in motion and caused it to operate by a set of natural laws. I don't believe that Higher Power (or Fate or Destiny, whatever you prefer to call that Power) interferes and causes things to happen against those natural laws, at least certainly not with any degree of regularity. Yes, strange co-incidences happen. Yes, sometimes it seems like things were "just meant to be". Sometimes good luck seems to be a factor -- or bad luck, for that matter. But we may just be stretching events to fit the "idea" mold we possess. We may draw good things to ourselves by keeping a positive outlook or being open to possibilities, but that is more because of an effort we have made than because Fate dictates our lives are supposed to go a certain direction.

The older I get and the more I experience, the more I believe that most of life is very random. It helps me bear the horrible things in life and rejoice in the happy things. I am better able to just roll with it.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:04 am

fireflydances wrote:I do, however, believe in extremely weird coincidence, and perhaps that's what some mean by "fate." People have entered my life in very curious ways, so curious that I can't imagine even attempting to logically explain what happened. But it's not about choice or chance, it's more about the universe reveling itself, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, that's kind of how I look at it.....because I still believe in having control over my life and trying to make things happen the way I want them to.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 am

nebraska wrote:The older I get and the more I experience, the more I believe that most of life is very random. It helps me bear the horrible things in life and rejoice in the happy things. I am better able to just roll with it.

This definitely is a factor.....how things happen. I can say, at least that the things that happened to me (even though they might not be what I wanted, they ultimately ended for the good. That could still change in my life. And then my opinion about this will change.

Return to “ONBC”