M Train Question #12 - The Killing

Waiting for the Barbarians by ‎J.M. Coetzee

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: M Train Question #12 - The Killing

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:10 am

nebraska wrote:After all the recommendations here I have started watching the Killing on Netflix and I am enjoying it a lot. :cool:

I would have watched it if I didn't already know how it ends. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:12 am

cussot wrote:
fireflydances wrote:
I don't really know her other work at all. But I would definitely go out of my way to see her in something else.

I first saw her in Big Love where she played twin polygamous sister-wives.

That sounds interesting. :yikes:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 am

flo116 wrote:
nebraska wrote:After all the recommendations here I have started watching the Killing on Netflix and I am enjoying it a lot. :cool:

I have started watching it also... the show really does draw the viewer in. It really doesn't rain that much in Seattle at times maybe :rain: but I have only watched 5 episodes maybe it will clear up.

:welcome: to the discussion, Flo!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 am

Liz wrote:

It's still worth watching. Because of the characters and how they relate to each other.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 am

Like GG I have watched The bridge and it is one of best things I've seen in recent years.
And I agree most series run to long, and the last season(s) are mostly disappointing.
I felt that way with alot of series, even with some favorites!

The one serie that left me :bawl: :banghead2: when it stopped, was Numb3rs.
Maybe more so because I was active in that fanbase during those years and that died a slowly death after final season.

I didn't miss Downton Abbey but I did enjoy rewatching the whole series.
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:15 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
flo116 wrote:

I have started watching it also... the show really does draw the viewer in. It really doesn't rain that much in Seattle at times maybe :rain: but I have only watched 5 episodes maybe it will clear up.

Not watching the original Danish version then. That was shown in the UK although I didn't see it.

No, but it does say it is based on a Danish version.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:17 am

Liz wrote:

I want to know, and yet I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers!!!! It is really a good show, what I like is that it ties together so many pieces of life. Most crime shows just deal with the criminal and law enforcement. I like that this show is involved with also showing how the loss affects the victim's family.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:47 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:After all the recommendations here I have started watching the Killing on Netflix and I am enjoying it a lot. :cool

I want to know, and yet I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers!!!! It is really a good show, what I like is that it ties together so many pieces of life. Most crime shows just deal with the criminal and law enforcement. I like that this show is involved with also showing how the loss affects the victim's family.

Yep! Yep! I am so glad you are liking it! I never, ever would have found this series if not for Patti. Didn't even know it existed. The hardest thing for us when we watched it between Christmas and New Years was actually turning it off. It was always "let's watch just one more, okay?" I had totally stopped watching almost anything on TV before this. Listened to the radio and watched stuff online. So finding this thoroughly engrossing story was truly wonderful.

And Liz -- there are so many twists and turns and confounding incidents in this series that I bet it would still hold your interest.

So now these are the things I am doing because of M Train: WG Sebold books, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, expanding my reading of Bolano, The Killing and expanding my interest in detective and crime stories, white bean soup, and a growing fascination in ancient history which was triggered by writing tidbits for both the Daniel Depp book and M Train (Ethiopian cross and Alexandria).
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

flo116

Unread postby flo116 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 pm

I was trying to avoid spoilers also but I went to the message board and now I know. :biggrin:
But I will not stop watching there are still other things going on that I want to follow.
"What interested me was that he has so many faces" "But each one is completely pure & innocent" Francois Marie Banier about Johnny

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 pm

I wouldn't have the patience to go through an entire season of a show like that, let alone several seasons. :lol:

I guess that's why I stick to sit coms and movies. :popcorn:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:53 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:

Didn't Patti say how it ended? :perplexed2:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:13 am

If she said how it ended, it didn't compute with me at the time because I had never heard of the show....and don't remind me what she said until I finish the series. ;)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:15 am

SnoopyDances wrote:I wouldn't have the patience to go through an entire season of a show like that, let alone several seasons. :lol:

I don't know whether to be envious or feel sorry for you. The intensity with which something like this can grip me is exquisitely painful and pleasurable.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 pm

nebraska wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:I wouldn't have the patience to go through an entire season of a show like that, let alone several seasons. :lol:

I don't know whether to be envious or feel sorry for you. The intensity with which something like this can grip me is exquisitely painful and pleasurable.

I love watching a long series....spreading it out or binge watching. As long as it's a good show, I'm hooked.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm

You've all convinced me! I've just added The Killing to my Netflix list. :spin:
He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totems. But when the camera was on him he kind of beamed Johnny out. It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.
~John H. Richardson

Return to “ONBC”