M Train Question #6 - Another type of Dream

Waiting for the Barbarians by ‎J.M. Coetzee

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

Liz
ONBC Moderator

M Train Question #6 - Another type of Dream

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:43 pm

This quote from pg. 77 struck me, as I’ve always been interested in dreams and what they mean:

“why do we dream about anything?”

Does anybody out there have any insight on dreams?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: M Train Question #6 - Another type of Dream

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm

A lot of times what I dream about is something that I did or something that happened or something I watched on TV that day. I would guess that is just sorting and filing events.

I have a couple of recurring dreams of fear (trying to scream but no sound comes out) or frustration (trying to climb a steep object that keeps getting steeper the harder I try and fail to climb) from locations in my childhood. And sometimes I have dreams about not being able to finish packing/dressing/getting prepared to leave wherever I am. And at times I have really confusing dreams about strange places, often the same places I have dreamed about before, but not places in my real world. These places are usually filled with people I have known. My guess is that most of this is more sorting and filing, although some of it relates more to emotions than to events. They tell us we all dream, but we only remember them if we are not sleeping soundly so it makes sense that the emotions are disturbing ones.

:jester:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:02 pm

nebraska wrote:They tell us we all dream, but we only remember them if we are not sleeping soundly so it makes sense that the emotions are disturbing ones.
:jester:

I was not aware of that. No wonder I remember so many of my dreams. :facepalm: I knew I'd learn something by posting this question.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:57 am

Dreaming is our sub conscious working through stuff.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Dreaming is our sub conscious working through stuff.

Yes, I believe so, too.

Sometimes a dream is our body telling us something...like all those times I dream that I'm trying to find a bathroom, and when I do, it's something awful. Like it's missing the toilet, or so filthy I won't go, or so small I can't get in it...and that's when I wake up and have to nearly run for the bathroom! :-O

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Theresa wrote:

Yes, I believe so, too.

Sometimes a dream is our body telling us something...like all those times I dream that I'm trying to find a bathroom, and when I do, it's something awful. Like it's missing the toilet, or so filthy I won't go, or so small I can't get in it...and that's when I wake up and have to nearly run for the bathroom! :-O

:highfive: That's one of mine, too! Only the toilet is often in a very public place, like the middle of a lobby or store and I just have to go. Not too much longer before I'm up and walking to the nice, private bathroom in my house. :bedtime:

Like Nebraska, my dreams are often people and places I know, but are in the wrong order...people I went to high school with show up at my college or work and vice versa. At some point, I usually end up at my childhood home, but the rooms are different. I wake up wondering if I should move out of the house and get my own place. :rolleyes: Another recurring dream is that I'm in school on the first day of classes and I don't know my schedule or which room I'm supposed to be at. I spend the whole dream wandering from class to class trying to find out if I'm supposed to be there and if I did my homework. :facepalm:

On really stressful days, I find myself arguing with people I wouldn't argue with in real life, like my mother or a boss. Really loud, ugly, shouting matches, saying things I always wanted to say to that person but didn't/couldn't.

Now that there is much more calm in my world, my dreams are easier to take. I often fall asleep with the television on, so now I'm dreaming about The Monkees or Jeanie helping me out of a jam. :lol:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I've had the toilet dreams too and yes they often seem to be in bizarre places. Most of the dreams I've had have often been populated with people I don't know in places I've never been.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:36 pm

When I start a new job I have dreams about the job....mostly forgetting to do something I was supposed to do. They are very disturbing dreams and seem very real when I wake up. It takes me a while to realize that I really had no such project.

I generally dream of people in my real life. And I've had dreams with Johnny in them. He is usually my friend in the dreams.

I have a lot of adventurous dreams....like I'm driving somewhere on a narrow, windy road in the middle of nowhere or chasing something.

Another recurring dream is where I can't find someone. The person I can't find is usually a very important person in my life.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:00 pm

I completely agree. In my twenties I got very interested in understanding my dreams. I assembled them in notebooks. I took time in the morning to note them down (how I had the time to do that is beyond me!). I definitely used my dreams to work on real life problems. Mostly emotional stuff. Dreams are so amazingly literal -- symbolic representations of exactly what we are doing in our feeble attempt to navigate our way through life. I remember one long series of dreams where I was fighting through a narrow place -- constricted, clautrophobic even. Finally, I came through the passage one night and up into the attic of an old house. For me this was about connecting the body to the brain. Bodily desires, and mental constructions.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:16 am

Nebraska wrote; They tell us we all dream, but we only remember them if we are not sleeping soundly so it makes sense that the emotions are disturbing ones.

I always remember them, and I never sleep to well. I wonder if nice dreams excist? Do people have dreams that are not disturbing? I only have horrible, frighting, awfull dreams every night. Nightmares. And then on top of that sometimes people visit me in my dreams, before they die... I can not see someone for 20 years but then he/she comes by in my dream and I hear a week later that person died. Weird!!
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:44 am

ibbi 3 wrote:Nebraska wrote; They tell us we all dream, but we only remember them if we are not sleeping soundly so it makes sense that the emotions are disturbing ones.

I always remember them, and I never sleep to well. I wonder if nice dreams excist? Do people have dreams that are not disturbing? I only have horrible, frighting, awfull dreams every night. Nightmares. And then on top of that sometimes people visit me in my dreams, before they die... I can not see someone for 20 years but then he/she comes by in my dream and I hear a week later that person died. Weird!!

Wow, ibbi, that is weird but in a sort of awesome way. You must have a very strong spiritual connection.

I am sure people do have "sweet dreams". I wish yours were sweeter!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 pm

I never remember my dreams , sometimes I think I don't dream but since I know I have had dreams in the past I guess that must be wrong :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:53 am

ibbi 3 wrote:Nebraska wrote; They tell us we all dream, but we only remember them if we are not sleeping soundly so it makes sense that the emotions are disturbing ones.

:fear:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Maybe dream energy allows the dreamer to tap into all kinds of unconscious energy from all over the place. I think us humans have tremendous mental energies that, so far, we don't know how to effectively use.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”