Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: ONBC Discusses House of Earth
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Noodlemantras, an announcement……

Another one. ;)

ONBC’s next literary selection is…..

HOUSE OF EARTH by Woody Guthrie (edited and introduced by Douglas Brinkley & Johnny Depp).

The year 2012 marked the 100 year anniversary of folk musician Woody Guthrie’s birth. Yes, we know him best for his songs. Who hasn’t sung “This Land Is Your Land?” In addition to penning over a thousand songs, Woody kept diaries and journals, wrote letters, drew cartoons, and even painted watercolor sketches. More on this in February.

Also of note, House of Earth is the first book to carry the Infinitum Nihil’s imprint.

“Finished in 1947, House of Earth, is Woody Guthrie’s only fully realized novel – a powerful portrait of dust bowl America, filled with the homespun lyricism and authenticity that have made his songs a part of our national consciousness. It is the story of an ordinary couple’s dreams of a better life and their search for love and meaning in a corrupt world.”

~ HarperCollins

“The re-discovery of House of Earth reinforces Guthrie’s place among the immortal figures of American letters. Guthrie endures as the soul of rural American folk culture in the twentieth century. His music is the soil. His words – lyrics, memoirs, essays, and now fiction—are the adobe bricks. He is of the people, by the people, for the people.”

~ Douglas Brinkley and Johnny Depp

Thanks to Firefly’s persistence, she and I were lucky enough to snag advance copies from HarperCollins for our review. This means that tidbits will begin in early February, while you are reading your copies. Its release date is February 5. So we encourage you to pre-order your copy.

We hope you will join us for this discussion, which will begin in early March.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: ONBC Discusses House of Earth
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm 

:applause2: Excellent choice!

Can't wait! :giddy:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 am 
JDZ Web Designer

The tidbits for this book are going to be simply awesome...I just know it! :applause2:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 am 

Interesting, might look into this one might have to get the kindle version though

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 am 

I am really looking forward to this one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 am 

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Interesting, might look into this one might have to get the kindle version though

I noticed Amazon UK only do the Kindle version. :ohno: I don't have one, so hopefully they will make a hard copy of this book available soon. :hope:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 am 

Pixie wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

I noticed Amazon UK only do the Kindle version. :ohno: I don't have one, so hopefully they will make a hard copy of this book available soon. :hope:

I don't understand! I just looked and they've got the hardback at £9.59, being only £1.60 more than the kindle version + an audio CD "by Woody Guthrie, Johnny Depp and Douglas Brinkley" at £23.45. Have another go Pixie!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 am 

Pixie wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

No they are releasing the hardback too

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 am 

Thank you Pizarros Pies and GG, that's great news! :applause:

Not sure how I missed that, unless Amazon UK added the hardback since I last looked (just after Liz's post last night). :perplexed:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 am 

I just pre-ordered my copy at Amazon.com! :bounce: I combined it with Mark Salisbury's visual companion for Dark Shadows in order to get free shipping, so my book won't arrive as quickly as it might; on the other hand, I should have it well before the discussion starts. I am glad we are supporting Johnny's imprint adventure!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm 

Lovely to see people lining up to get the book. I've just started my advance copy and I am not even going provide one, single, solitary hint: buy the book! I will say it's a good read.

And yes, Theresa, this one promises some great tidbits. I've already got my nose stuck in too many books researching things. Ah, I am in heaven.

:angel:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm 

Great choice! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm 

Oh, I am so going to be "here" for this one. :bounce: Well, going to make a concerted effort this time, anyway. :whistle:

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm 

So I am guessing it would have been a benefit to see the Dust Bowl programs that were on PBS recently? I missed them, but may have to see if there is a way to download them to my Kindle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 pm 

nebraska wrote:
So I am guessing it would have been a benefit to see the Dust Bowl programs that were on PBS recently? I missed them, but may have to see if there is a way to download them to my Kindle.

Yes, it would have. Check PBS online. Some areas are re-showing the segments -- you enter your zip code, they tell you where and when. I was lucky to see all five hours on New Year's Day. Excellent documentary. Highly recommend them.

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next