It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: DS Question #10 - DS's impact on popular culture
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm 
JDZ Moderator

In her Q&A with us, Katherine said that she, David and Lara saw the DS 2012 premiere as "a celebration of our show that has had such an amazing impact on popular culture.”

Do those of you who didn’t grow up during that time see the show as having an impact on popular culture? Those who did grow up during that time can answer also.
:biggrin:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: DS Question #10 - DS's impact on popular culture
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm 

I really don't have much to say on the subject, just an observation that anything which can maintain popularity and familiarity for such a long period of time has to be important to the culture.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 pm 

Not sure, as I've never been hip.

I think a lot of things were changing in the mid-60s through early 70s. Dark Shadows did reflect those changes.

A lot of the established soap operas started out as radio programs and their story lines were well established after 20-30 years.

DS was completely new, related to a younger audience and had a unique story line.
It grabbed attention like The Beatles, Vietnam, folk music, mini skirts, body paint, exaggerated makeup, etc. And television had become the entertainment mecca for kids. It was perfect timing.

It was a bit rebellious/scandalous to what Mom and Dad were watching and kids flocked to it.

It has stood the test of time because those kids that watched have kept it alive in their memories, as part of their youth. Just like The Beatles and everything else in that time frame.

My mother still listens to music from her youth, I listen to the music of my youth (Bobby Sherman :cloud9: ), my nieces and nephews do the same thing.

Let's face it, none of want to grow old, so we cling to our youth. And in DS, no one ever grew old, no matter how many centuries they traveled. I hate them all! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:54 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Agreed, SnoopyDances. Even my kids listen to my music from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. :-O

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]