The Thin Man Question #15 - Were you confused?

by Dashiell Hammett

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Thin Man Question #15 - Were you confused?

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

The title of the book & film does not refer to Nick Charles, but to the murder victim, Clyde Wynant. Audiences and critics alike kept referring to Nick Charles as "The Thin Man", so subsequent films kept the name. Were you confused about who the thin man was?

NOTE: Try not to get into a discussion of the movie. We will discuss that tomorrow.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

magpie

Re: The Thin Man Question #15 - Were you confused?

Unread postby magpie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

No, that was one thing the book was clear on. :lol: Now, about the characters & the rest of it, that's different!

I haven't seen the movie, so that didn't enter into it for me.
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I think I always thought Nick was the Thin Man, but the tidbits here cleared that up for me before I read the book.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 pm

magpie wrote:No, that was one thing the book was clear on. :lol: Now, about the characters & the rest of it, that's different!

I haven't seen the movie, so that didn't enter into it for me.

Totally agree. Never thought Nick was The Thin Man, and I haven't seen the movie in years and haven't been able to figure out how to see it now. Don't have netflix or any other way to see it. :rolleyes:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Yes I was confused -(nothing new about that when it comes to reading mysteries :rolleyes: ) I also thought The Thin Man was Nick Charles. Thanks for clearing that up with our tidbits!!

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I'll have to admit the first time I saw the movie I was a little kid and I did think The Thin Man was Nick Charles, it wasn't until I saw the movie again in my late teens that I figured it out.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 pm

I haven't seen the movie in years and haven't been able to figure out how to see it now. Don't have netflix or any other way to see it. :rolleyes:

My library had it. ;-)

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 pm

I always thought that Nick was the Thin Man because of all of the other movies about Nick and Nora.

The tidbits pointed outthe real story, and then when I read the book, I paid more attention to the constant references to how thin the missing man was.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm

nebraska wrote:I think I always thought Nick was the Thin Man, but the tidbits here cleared that up for me before I read the book.
Yep, me too.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Buster wrote:
I haven't seen the movie in years and haven't been able to figure out how to see it now. Don't have netflix or any other way to see it. :rolleyes:

My library had it. ;-)

Oooh. Dim light flickers in the brain. Perhaps? Too late? :-O
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

stroch wrote:I always thought that Nick was the Thin Man because of all of the other movies about Nick and Nora.

The tidbits pointed out the real story, and then when I read the book, I paid more attention to the constant references to how thin the missing man was.

:highfive:
I saw the movies first, of course, so always thought it was Nick, because he was the only recurring man in all of the movies. I also there were more books, because there were 6 movies. :dunce:

But reading the book made it quite clear that it was Wynant.

Don't know why people would think it was Nick if they read the book first. But I guess they couldn't sell movie tickets to The Drunken Man series. :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 am

I'm also surprised that people wouldn't read the book first, back in those days. But I do think it is much clearer in the book. But even though Hammett described Wynant that way, I had this question mark in my head. I think I was expecting there to be a twist that would make The Thin Man someone else.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Thin Man”