It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Thin Man Question #18 ~ Setting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 am 

Should the new movie version be set in the 1930’s? Could it be updated and would the story still work?

Sorry I have been AWOL, Noodlemantras. Life has been conspiriing against my cyberspace time lately!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: The Thin Man Question #18 ~ Setting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 am 

My first reaction is to keep it in the 30's. Hard to imagine the snappy dialog sustaining an update. But then, until I saw The Rum Diary, I would never have believed anyone could write a screen play without using Hunter's words verbatim. Bruce Robinson totally nailed it, so I'm keeping my mind open on this subject as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am 

DITHOTbaba good to see you! I hope the Gods of cyberspace will continue to allow you to hang with us. :biggrin:

I'm hoping (with all fingers and toes crossed) that the film will be set in the 1930's, I just think that keeping it true to that time period will be better fit for the relationship that Nick and Nora have. Also the language and fast-paced banter is better suited to the '30s. Bringing the film into the present, would be little like that old TV show of the 1980's, which was based on The Thin Man films, Hart to Hart; it was entertaining but it wasn't The Thin Man.

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 pm 

I think it would be interesting to have the movie set in both the 30's and in modern times. Perhaps something along the lines of the recent Julia Child movie starring Meryl Streep. I think the only thing at the core that has changed between then and now is the technology. The modern day Wall Street Journal would provide excellent foder for a story line.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 pm 

I am not sure the charm of the original could be translated to modern times. And I think Johnny would love working with that period.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

Oh I so hope they keep the setting in the 30's. The feel of the time adds so much to the characters and dialog. But of course, Johnny can always add a new twist to most anything and not loose the original meaning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:02 am 
JDZ Moderator

I agree with what everyone has said.

Boo, Hart to Hart is a good comparison. But I think best to stay in the 30s, like most of you have said. And as nebraska said, Johnny would probably love doing something from the 30s. Ladylynn makes a good point that Johnny will always put his own spin on it. And, of course, I always look forward to whatever that might be. WM63 you have an interesting idea of dual time periods. That could make it very interesting. Midnight in Paris is another example of that.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:42 am 

I hope for the 30s just for the fabulous clothes...even casual wear was more stylish. Satins, silks, furs, bias cuts, tuxedos. Also the settings in the Art Deco style.

I think the comic timing and the flipness of the repartee could translate to modern times, but you would lose a lot without all of the period slang.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am 

Missed this question yesterday. I, too, vote for a new film to remain in the 1930s, in fact I would love it to be in black and white because that would really embrace the sensability of that time. I mean they made The Artist, so maybe now going black and white won't scare the bejesus out of the studios. It would give it such a gloss. I want it very stylized, very artful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:45 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I think black and white would be perfect. :cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 am 

fireflydances wrote:
Missed this question yesterday. I, too, vote for a new film to remain in the 1930s, in fact I would love it to be in black and white because that would really embrace the sensability of that time. I mean they made The Artist, so maybe now going black and white won't scare the bejesus out of the studios. It would give it such a gloss. I want it very stylized, very artful.

firefly, I was also thinking that a black and white film would be great and I still it would be great; but my reservation is The Artist, because it was such a big hit that I'm concerned that entertainment media might float the notion that The Thin Man was following suit merely to cash in on the notoriety of using b/w film and not see it as the best way to present the film. What do you all think? Am I over thinking this?

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:36 pm 

I vote for the 30's but in color. I want to see the fabulous wardrobe and period pieces on the sets!

I thought of Midnight in Paris when wm63 mentioned the dual time periods and also the old tv show Moonlighting because of the banter.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:11 pm 

I agree, DITHOT. '30s but in color.
Johnny loves that era, both in movies and fashion, so I see him keeping it in the 30s. If they do B&W, I'm afraid the naysayers will just call it a cheap knock off of the original. Of course, they probably will, anyway. But I'd like to see it in HD color. :heart2:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:47 pm 

30's For sure! B&W? Johnny looked great in EW. I will leave the choice to them

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]