It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Rolling Stones and the Blues - tonight
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 am 

At 9:00 pm Central time tonight there will be an hour long radio show devoted to the Rolling Stones and the Blues. Since that was the focus of several (awesome!) tidbits of our last read, I thought I’d post this in case anyone is interested in learning or hearing more.

Blues Breakers is a weekly radio show that airs in Chicago, and this week’s show is “all about the Rolling Stones” according to the ad. Stones covers of blues songs, live recordings of them playing with blues artists, blues artists playing with them, that sort of thing.

You can listen live here from 9:00-10:00 Central: Click the link at the very top of the page “Listen Live to 93XRT”. That will open the CBS Radio player in a new window and start the stream. I wish I had the ability to record this for later listening, especially for those of you across the pond!

As is typical of my life, I have school and scout-related things going on tonight, but I'll be racing home and should catch most of it! :cool:

Happy Listening! :music:
-RR

Post subject: Re: The Rolling Stones and the Blues - tonight
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm 

They posted a description of tonight's show on their website, which describes it MUCH better than I could:

Inspired by the recent news that late Chicago Blues legend Hubert Sumlin‘s funeral expenses were paid for by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, tonight on Blues Breakers we explore the Stones long history with the blues.

Just last month when we lost one of the few Chicago Bluesmen who was a living connection to the great period of Chicago Blues of the fifties and sixties, Hubert Sumlin, Mick and Keith stepped up to cover expenses for their friend and inspiration. After all, The Stones pretty much started out as a blues band fifty years ago. Like a lot of their British counterparts they learned how one plays blues by listening to records made in Chicago by people like Muddy Waters and his guitar player Jimmy Rogers and Howlin’ Wolf and his guitar player Hubert Sumlin. Tonight on Blues Breakers we’ll be playing songs by Blues artists with Mick and/or Keith as guests, songs performed by The Stones with Blues guests, The Stones performing Blues songs, Blues artists performing Stones songs and, well, you get the idea.

Tonight, from 9PM to 10PM CST on 93XRT in Chicago and 93XRT.com, or on your mobile device with the Radio.com app.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm 

Thanks. Will have to check that out. :ok:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 am 

Sorry to have missed that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am 
JDZ Moderator

I'm sorry to have missed this also. :-/

But thanks for alerting us to it Ramblin.
:cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 pm 

:bigwave: Ramblin - So sorry I missed your post before the show. I love the blues :sigh:

Thank you for posting. I should not have missed checking the board yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 pm 

WM63 wrote:
:bigwave: Ramblin - So sorry I missed your post before the show. I love the blues :sigh:
Thank you for posting. I should not have missed checking the board yesterday.
:bigwave: Hi WM63 - Me too!!

Yeah, I wish I had known about it sooner so I could have given a bit more notice. :-/ But Tom did post a play list from the show along with notes about each of the songs if anyone would like to look up some of these gems: I'm sure I saw "Champagne and Reefer" with the Stones and Buddy Guy on You Tube at some point... :whistle: :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:34 pm 

Great information! Thanks, RR! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]