It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Share Your Book Recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 am 
JDZ Moderator

:ONBC: Noodlemantras, we're bringing back an old thread due to popular demand.....

This is a place for you to post general book recommendations. So feel free to post here your recommendations for reading, keeping in mind the following guidelines:

- It can be any book(s) (not necessarily Johnny related).

- You can give a brief synopsis of your reasoning for recommending the book, but please keep any discussion to a bare minimum. If you would like to discuss the book further you can always contact the person who recommended it via a private message.

We look forward to more book recommendations. :bounce:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Share Your Book Recommendations-Pirate Latitudes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 am 

Hi all you Scaborous Dogs,

Michael Crighton wrote Pirate Latitudes but the book was not found nor published until after his death

Pirate Latitudes takes you on a very realistic Pirate adventure.
It takes you into a past life where Port Royal comes to life with all sorts of seedy characters. It is the adventure of Captian Charles Hunter :capnjack: in 1665.

However; you will learn a great deal about the times. It throughly examines the role of women of the age. You may want to remain a modern mainland female pirate. :yikes: ;-) Although without these particular women charaters the plot would not be so intriguing. :mwahaha:
It also examines the working of a ship. It discusses the sections of a galleon. :toastingpirates: It will give you insight into what part of the ship is the most vulnerable. :ohyes: It will also go into detail about sailing with wind and without wind. It will examine just how to sail and the size crew needed to man a ship of that size. It will reveal the hidden dangers of sailing. :fear: :freaked: :-O
It examines the power the Captain must maintain over his crew and persons set to do him harm. :gangster:

I found it very entertaining, informative and worth reading late into the night. It is a great bedtime story to take your mind away from the current historical problems.
You will realize what a great Captain, the character of Captain Jack Sparrow :captainjack: would have been if offered the dangers and challenges that Captain Hunter had had. Would Captain Jack have made the same decisions as Captian Hunter had made?

Enjoy the read!!!!!
Suzan momindeppcamp
PS I found a teaser trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJ5Fe_vHF8

What is that? It is a Terrible Towel ,Chuckle A Terrible Towel?, Yes it is a Terrible Towel for you and your son. Over this left shoulder it went. Never to be seen or heard from again. I am always so misunderstood.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Share Your Book Recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:43 pm 

Yay! I missed this. Went looking for it the other week and found it had gone missing! :) Thanks for bringing it back...
I'll check out Pirate Latitudes, momindeppcamp!
I read Captain Blood recently. Thank you to the Noodlemantra who recommended it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 am 

This is a book that ties in with "Life" where the Stones tour the southern USA.

It's titled The Chitlin' Circuit: And the Road to Rock 'n' Roll by Preston Lauterbach. A great read and one I'll buy soon ( I borrowed it from the library here). Published in 2011 and reviews are on Amazon.

I realize now that this fan site has an international audience so I would also recommend the following link for them. This should be considered a "sound track" for the book This radio show has been airing for 26 years now and it has been archived and is available via internet streaming for anyone with a fast enough connection to receive it. The link to the Fish Fry is on the right side of the page. Listening to one of these shows will introduce you to the style of music that the book covers, however it also showcases contemporary music. Chuck Haddock's Fish Fry serves up the best in blues, r&b, soul, jumpin' jazz and zydeco. :yikes:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:42 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I would like to recommend, for a very light read, Neil Pasricha's The Book of Awesome - - it's simply…. well…. awesome! :lol:

The Vancouver Sun's comment:

Quote:
Sunny without being saccharine, it's a countdown of life's little joys that reads like a snappy Jerry Seinfeld monologue by way of Maria Von Trapp.

It's all about things that make us happy, things that you can really identify with, such as:

-The other side of the pillow
-Fixing electronics by smacking them
-Snow Days
-Bakery Air
-Finding Money in Your Pocket

Each musing has it's own page or two, so it's easy to read a bit at a time, but it's hard to put down once you've started! It's very funny too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Well, Joni...I saw his website url on your Amazon link and I'm hooked already on the 1000 Awesome things. If the book is like his blog, it just has to be good!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:50 pm 
JDZ Moderator

The book is exactly like his blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 am 
JDZ Moderator

Thanks, Joni, for the recommendation.

Sounds like a book I need. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 pm 

Joni wrote:
I would like to recommend, for a very light read, Neil Pasricha's The Book of Awesome - - it's simply…. well…. awesome! :lol:

I've also read 2 other awesome books by the same author:

The Book of Even More Awesome (sequel to the first one)

The Book of Holiday Awesome

Both books are equally as fun as the one that Joni recommended. :grin:

"Its not goodbye, its goodnight. Goodbye is for when you're going away and we're not going anywhere, are we?" --Gilbert

"However, just at the moment, you really might want to focus on the Jabberwocky."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:39 pm 

Sounds awesome! :grin:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm 

Watching the TIFF West of Memphis Press Conference really touched me and when Damien was asked what each of us could do to support his case and Lorri said we should read his book Life After Death I instantly pre-ordered a copy.
Today the book arrived, I tore it open, threw the wrapping in the wast paper basket and immediately had a look at the pics in the middle of the book. They had a "magick"* and I started reading still standing there. After a while I moved over to the couch, after each page I had read I understood better why Johnny feels so drawn to Damien. I only could stop reading when the kids asked what was for dinner.
This book is easy to read but hard to bear. I am afraid of reading on but still can't stop. I feel I owe Damien to read on. If he bear to go through this, I at least should be able to bear reading it.
In his preface he says:

If someone begins reading because they want to see life from a perspective different from their own, then I would be content. If someone reads because they want to know what life looks like from where I stand, then I will be happy.

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to find out why Johnny feels like a brother to Damien, and to all who want to make Damien happy or at least content.

*read the book and you'll know what magick means.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm 

Two things come to mind at the moment, neither of which are brand new:
'Chronicles Volume One' is a book by Bob Dylan which is written autobiographically, discussing a few specific periods in his life. It jumps around as far as the chronology, but is written with a poet's hand. I believe Johnny may have mentioned it as one of his favorite books. Dylan's writing talent extends well beyond song lyrics. Anyone who's ever had any interest in the man (who's still making great music now) will find this book a pleasure. Published in 2004.
Secondly, one of the all time giants of fiction and science fiction, Ray Bradbury, has passed away this year. With Halloween drawing near, I'd like to suggest 'The Halloween Tree', an easy to read story about a group of boys who find themselves travelling around the world and through history one Halloween night, discovering the origins of the holiday. Published 1972. 'From The Dust Returned' is a newer Bradbury novel (2001), about a supernatural family, another 'October Country' gem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Fairy wrote:
In his preface he says:

If someone begins reading because they want to see life from a perspective different from their own, then I would be content. If someone reads because they want to know what life looks like from where I stand, then I will be happy.

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to find out why Johnny feels like a brother to Damien, and to all who want to make Damien happy or at least content.

Thanks for sharing this quote with us, Fairy. It's an interesting one, to be sure. And I'm certainly curious.

jruoss, thank you for your recommendations. I'd like to go back and read some Ray Bradbury novels.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]