On Stranger Tides Question #15 ~ POTC Movies

by Tim Powers

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

On Stranger Tides Question #15 ~ POTC Movies

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

What similarities did you see between the book and previous POTC movies?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Re: On Stranger Tides Question #15 ~ POTC Movies

Unread postby gemini » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Off the top of my head I would say all the references to immortality. Jack returned from being eaten by the Kraken, Barbossa brought back by Tia Dalma using voodoo magic. Davy Jones and the fish people living underwater forever, and even the first skeleton pirates cursed along with Barbossa for taking Aztec gold. I am sure there are others so let me think about it or just wait for you ladies to come up with more I can’t recall.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 pm

The lit cords in Blackbeard's beard (used on the pirate in CoTBP). Trying to think of specifics, but all I can think of are generalities at the moment.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd
My flickr page

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 pm

moviemom wrote:The lit cords in Blackbeard's beard (used on the pirate in CoTBP). Trying to think of specifics, but all I can think of are generalities at the moment.

Oh yes! Forgot about that, but I can visualize that scene now. Good one, moviemom! :applause:

Gemini, that's a good catch also. I hadn't thought that deeply. I was looking for surface stuff.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Heart in a box, head in a box?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Dead pirates that are walking around and functioning.

Breaking the spell by mixing fresh blood with something....in this case, iron--in the case of POTC, Aztec gold.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 pm

The scene in the swamp where they are being taken over by swamp vegetation reminded me of Davy Jones crew. (gemini, that may be what you were referring to.)

I also made a note of a passage on pg. 346 that so reminded me of an escape Jack would make! I will come back and post the text for those that no longer have the book.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “On Stranger Tides”