Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 27383
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 am

While Murder on the Orient Express may have been your written introduction to the world famous investigator, it’s unlikely you haven’t met the man before, either in film or TV series. Do you have a favorite Poirot? Tell us why? And if you’ve seen the movie, what did you think of Kenneth Branagh’s performance as Poirot ?

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 161210
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I think when people think of an on screen Poirot over here it has to be David Suchet who played him on screen for years. I didn't really watch it though so not sure he would be a favorite. I think ofvthe big screen version each seems to have been right for that film. Albert Finney was good in the 1974 version, Peter Ustinov was good in Death On the Nile. Think he played the role in another one but can't remember what it was called.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 27383
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 pm

The 1970s move version of Murder On the Orient Express is actually the only other Agatha Christie film I have seen and I have not watched the television versions of Poirot. For me, Branagh created a wonderful character, but I have little to compare him to.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3120
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am

I think David Suchet has owned the face of Poirot for many years. It was simple the face that popped up in one's mind when someone said Hercule Poirot. But I have to say, I really love the Poirot that Branagh has created. I wonder what Agatha would say?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
marija
Posts: 1322
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Germany

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby marija » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 am

When I'm thinking of Poirot at first Sir Peter Ustinov came to my mind. He revealed and represented the cleverness and cunning that A. Christy described in her books. That's the only thing I've missed a little bit from K. Brannagh but he is for me from now on ,no doubt, my new ( and most beautiful) face of Poirot.
...it's not easy, to be different..."

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 45775
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

I've enjoyed all the movie Poirots, although I haven't been able to see Suchet's or Alfred Molina's versions.
I think it's fun to see different actors recreate the same character and develop their own quirks. Poirot would certainly be a fun guy to play and it looks like Branagh thoroughly enjoyed the character. :mortdecai1:

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3120
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes, Branagh definitely pulled back on the weird side of Poirot. He doesn't seem so obsessed, so squirrely in his drive to unearth the mystery. I would say it makes a more contemporaneous figure, but I think he could have contrived a figure that included some of those odd ticks anyway. I must confess to not seeing many films with Branagh. And I wonder about the diversity of his characters. Any comment?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 161210
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:05 am

fireflydances wrote:Yes, Branagh definitely pulled back on the weird side of Poirot. He doesn't seem so obsessed, so squirrely in his drive to unearth the mystery. I would say it makes a more contemporaneous figure, but I think he could have contrived a figure that included some of those odd ticks anyway. I must confess to not seeing many films with Branagh. And I wonder about the diversity of his characters. Any comment?

Always believable in his characters. Not sure though if they are very different but he is always earnest. Not one for disguising I suppose. His acting makes the character.

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 45775
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
fireflydances wrote:Yes, Branagh definitely pulled back on the weird side of Poirot. He doesn't seem so obsessed, so squirrely in his drive to unearth the mystery. I would say it makes a more contemporaneous figure, but I think he could have contrived a figure that included some of those odd ticks anyway. I must confess to not seeing many films with Branagh. And I wonder about the diversity of his characters. Any comment?

Always believable in his characters. Not sure though if they are very different but he is always earnest. Not one for disguising I suppose. His acting makes the character.

:highfive:

I do enjoy his films. I've been a fan of his for a long time.

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 161210
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
fireflydances wrote:Yes, Branagh definitely pulled back on the weird side of Poirot. He doesn't seem so obsessed, so squirrely in his drive to unearth the mystery. I would say it makes a more contemporaneous figure, but I think he could have contrived a figure that included some of those odd ticks anyway. I must confess to not seeing many films with Branagh. And I wonder about the diversity of his characters. Any comment?

Always believable in his characters. Not sure though if they are very different but he is always earnest. Not one for disguising I suppose. His acting makes the character.

:highfive:

I do enjoy his films. I've been a fan of his for a long time.

Me too.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3120
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Always believable in his characters. Not sure though if they are very different but he is always earnest. Not one for disguising I suppose. His acting makes the character.

:highfive:

I do enjoy his films. I've been a fan of his for a long time.

Me too.


Well, I will definitely have to seek him out. Can anyone name some favorite roles in terms of Branagh?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 45775
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm

fireflydances wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote: :highfive:

I do enjoy his films. I've been a fan of his for a long time.

Me too.


Well, I will definitely have to seek him out. Can anyone name some favorite roles in terms of Branagh?

He's done a lot of Shakespeare.
My Week with Marilyn was good.
Dunkirk
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 161210
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 am

If you can find them the tv series Fortunes of War and Shackleton and the British film A Month in The Country although he is not the main character. Henry V and Much Ado About Mothing

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3120
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Murder on the Orient Express Question #14 The Many Faces of Hercule Poirot

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, I will look for these!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies


Return to “ONBC”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests