Murder on the Orient Express Question #20: Favorite Quotes?

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Do you have a favorite quote from the book? :noodlemantra:
Or if you saw the movie, did one line stand out for you? :popcorn:
Tell us what it was and why you found it so memorable. :press:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:56 pm

There are lots of notes and underlinings in my book, but most of those were to keep track of clues and make note of words I needed to look up. :dunce:

However I did find this one:
" ... if you wish to catch a rabbit you put a ferret into the hole , and if the rabbit is there -- he runs. That is all I have done." page 191

A very clever way to describe his methods, maybe enhanced by my experience caring for ferrets at the veterinary clinic.

jruoss

Unread postby jruoss » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Apologies, I haven't read the book, and so have no business posting here, but I do have a favorite quote from the new movie, which I sort of doubt was in the book, because it sounds like a JD improv. It's when Ratchett is at the table with Poirot, and Ratchett says "You're a bit of an odd bird, aren't you?". Best line in the movie I thought.
"I feel I am good sitting on a beach with a breeze going by, the waves hitting the beach."
"I've got a lot of Barbies in storage..."
"The Mad Hatter is the Mad Hatter. What am I going to do, play him like Lee Majors?"

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for posting, jruoss. :cool: I have seen the movie just one time and I am sure there are great quotes but I couldn't remember any of them

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 pm

nebraska wrote:There are lots of notes and underlinings in my book, but most of those were to keep track of clues and make note of words I needed to look up. :dunce:

However I did find this one:
" ... if you wish to catch a rabbit you put a ferret into the hole , and if the rabbit is there -- he runs. That is all I have done." page 191

A very clever way to describe his methods, maybe enhanced by my experience caring for ferrets at the veterinary clinic.

That is an amazing good line. I don't think I paid it proper attention. Thank you nebraska!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:55 pm

From the movie, I enjoyed the little joke at the beginning with a priest, a rabbi, and an imam.
To make light of something in such a serious and contentious atmosphere took a lot of gall from Poirot, but that just demonstrated how respected he was with the masses and how his ego worked within his own investigations.

From the book:

"The body—the cage—is everything of the most respectable—but through the bars, the wild animal looks out.”

Poirot is describing his first encounter with Ratchett. I thought it was a marvelous depiction of someone. Unfortunately, I missed this from the movie. I never got the impression that Johnny was a wild animal looking out through a cage.

“If you confront anyone who has lied with the truth, he will usually admit it - often out of sheer surprise. It is only necessary to guess right to produce your effect.”

This quote could have made an excellent discussion question. I found it interesting that Poirot, with all of his ego and bravado, admitted to guessing the true identities of the suspects. When he correctly guessed who the murdered man really was, he stayed with the idea that some or all of the passengers must be connected to little Daisy somehow. Of course, one needs to guess correctly... :bigwink: which he did.

Return to “ONBC”