Murder on the Orient Express Question #12 the Meaning of Numbers

Murder on the Orient Express by ‎Agatha Christie

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:40 am

(I am posting this out of order -- Question #11 will follow in due time.)

"I remembered a remark of Colonel Arbuthnot's about trial by jury. A jury is composed of twelve people – there were twelve passengers – Ratchett was stabbed twelve times." Murder On the Orient Express - page 259

For many, the number twelve is significant and not just in judicial matters. We have twelve months of the year, twelve disciples in the Judaeo-Christian tradition. The number thirteen also resonates with many people -- and is often considered bad luck, depending on where you live!

Do you have a lucky number? Do you believe numbers have a deeper paranormal meaning?

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Not really, not sure I believe anything but the number 7 is supposed to be lucky so we got married on the 7th. Guess it might have been more kucky if had also been in July :lol:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:25 pm

I believe Christie had a specific purpose in mind for her 12 chosen in this story. I do think they represented a jury.
In the movie, they are set up at long tables all on one side, very much like the disciples at the Last Supper, while Poirot details their sins.

But in my own world, I don't really believe in lucky numbers or numerology...at least not enough to research it further.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Not really, not sure I believe anything but the number 7 is supposed to be lucky so we got married on the 7th. Guess it might have been more kucky if had also been in July :lol:

:lol: Well it's worked out well so far...perhaps the number 7 did what it was supposed to do. :ok:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:I believe Christie had a specific purpose in mind for her 12 chosen in this story. I do think they represented a jury.
In the movie, they are set up at long tables all on one side, very much like the disciples at the Last Supper, while Poirot details their sins.

But in my own world, I don't really believe in lucky numbers or numerology...at least not enough to research it further.

I think she makes use of numbers in many of her books

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 am

I think I am into numbers. I was born on the 13th and people's reaction, even when I was a kid, always made me feel I was in special company, although it could be either bad or good company. I wasn't sure -- still not.

My lucky number is six. I decided on six when I was six. I remember laying on the front lawn that day and thinking that I was absolutely the perfect age and that life would never be better. Never! Kind of kid proud I guess. I was finally doing things -- like riding the bike across the street and round the corner, obviously at the prime of early life. Six is a gentle number, trusting and innocent. Five is spunkier, seven is world weary. I will always appreciate the boundlessness of childhood.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”