The Mountain Shadow Question #19--The Chain of Life

The Mountain Shadow by Gregory David Roberts

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:04 pm

"The newly dead are ancestors, too. We respect the chain of life and love when we celebrate the life, not mourn the death." the Mountain Shadow page 579

In recent months we have experienced the death of several celebrities. Do you feel these people are part of the chain of your life? Or are they not a true part of your reality.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 am

I think its very sad when a celebrity that I have known dies, especially one whose career I may have kept tabs on but no they are not part of my reality. I don't know them.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 pm

For me, I guess I confuse the actual person with my interpretation of them, the ways they inspire me, the memories they evoke, the feelings I have when I think of them. In that way they actually are a part of my life and the way I have evolved as a person. And so when someone like that dies, it feels like a personal loss to me. Yes, it is different from the passing of an actual family ancestor, but it still seems like a part of my chain of life in a way.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:15 pm

nebraska wrote:For me, I guess I confuse the actual person with my interpretation of them, the ways they inspire me, the memories they evoke, the feelings I have when I think of them. In that way they actually are a part of my life and the way I have evolved as a person. And so when someone like that dies, it feels like a personal loss to me. Yes, it is different from the passing of an actual family ancestor, but it still seems like a part of my chain of life in a way.

I guess I've never been that inspired by anyone

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Yes, I do, they are a part of my reality. When George Michael died, my age, I followed his music from the start, I can remember several hits through the years and what happend in my own life. I heard people say; he was the soundtrack of my life. And I agree. He's part of my soundtrack - his and others' music I loved.
Just like I remember where I was in life when 21JS came on tv.
That also goes for movies, or books. They are all part of my memories - my reality.
It's scary how many people your age pass away, when you get older. :shocked:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
nebraska wrote:For me, I guess I confuse the actual person with my interpretation of them, the ways they inspire me, the memories they evoke, the feelings I have when I think of them. In that way they actually are a part of my life and the way I have evolved as a person. And so when someone like that dies, it feels like a personal loss to me. Yes, it is different from the passing of an actual family ancestor, but it still seems like a part of my chain of life in a way.

I assume Johnny is an exception????? Or you wouldn't be here. :bigwink:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 pm

ibbi 3 wrote:Yes, I do, they are a part of my reality. When George Michael died, my age, I followed his music from the start, I can remember several hits through the years and what happend in my own life. I heard people say; he was the soundtrack of my life. And I agree. He's part of my soundtrack - his and others' music I loved.
Just like I remember where I was in life when 21JS came on tv.
That also goes for movies, or books. They are all part of my memories - my reality.
It's scary how many people your age pass away, when you get older. :shocked:

I'm with you. I relate them to where I was in my life at the time. And for Bowie, George Michael and the leader of Earth, Wind & Fire, their music was very influential in my life at the time - choreography for my aerobics classes.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 am

Liz wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

I assume Johnny is an exception????? Or you wouldn't be here. :bigwink:

I admire his work but he has not influenced me or how I live my life other than spending far too much time watching his movies, spending time here etc. But that is a small portion of my life. He is very far removed from my reality.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:41 pm

I think us humans love community. And because of the incredible reach of the media, it's immediacy, it's every day presence in our lives, it has become easy for people to feel close to people they will never meet. Part of the big group in a sense. Thus, the celebrity becomes familiar to us, as though they lived 'round the corner or over the hill.

In addition, today's celebrities are rather like yesterday's clan ruler, battle hero, etc. They are viewed as outstanding members of the group. Whether they deserve that or not, representations of what is valued by the society. Who knows, maybe the old ruler was a horrible man who didn't deserve to be honored. The thing is, we humans love finding the "special ones" and holding them over our heads. Football stars, beauty queens, rock stars, etc.

I feel bad for the poor souls who are held on high, because I am sure they feel extraordinarily not deserving. Our media plays up our desire to find connection with and reasons to celebrate our fellow humans. I guess celebrityhood is the tax one pays for being judged "special" in the first place.

As a teen I decorated my entire bedroom, wall to ceiling, with cut out pictures of the Beatles. I saw something in them that spoke to me and my response to that was to celebrate them. Didn't know them from a hole in the wall, but the clamor of attention drew me and I jumped on board that celebrity celebration. My poor mother - tolerant woman.

I heard about Chuck Berry dying on the weekend, and I read the article. I thought about how his music had influenced my life. Rock and roll is here to stay. How could I not be influenced?

How about Depp? I think of the icons the guy has created. I smile when I think of Captain Jack. Never thought much of pirates before Capt Jack. Yeah, he's influenced me, sure. He's added to the plate of things I celebrate. Clearly -- ONBC, the glory of Tim Burton, a deeper meditation on Hunter Thompson, and pirates, outsiders, gypsies -- the list goes on and on. Connections built. His "take" on what he presented to us gave us information we didn't have before. And that's influence in my mind. We are humans and we honor our connection with anyone who gives us indication that they understand our point of view. We want to celebrate those good times, bad times, forever remembered things they added to our lives.

Sentimental group, we humans.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ibbi 3

Unread postby ibbi 3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 am

:highfive: Liz and firefly :agree:
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 am

fireflydances :rosegirl: :yes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:30 am

fireflydances wrote:How about Depp? I think of the icons the guy has created. I smile when I think of Captain Jack. Never thought much of pirates before Capt Jack. Yeah, he's influenced me, sure. He's added to the plate of things I celebrate. Clearly -- ONBC, the glory of Tim Burton, a deeper meditation on Hunter Thompson, and pirates, outsiders, gypsies -- the list goes on and on. Connections built. His "take" on what he presented to us gave us information we didn't have before. And that's influence in my mind. We are humans and we honor our connection with anyone who gives us indication that they understand our point of view. We want to celebrate those good times, bad times, forever remembered things they added to our lives.

Sentimental group, we humans.

YES! :ok:

Just the idea that he showed us that it can be "good to be different." He followed his passion, danced to a different drummer, scared the Disney suits. And he succeeded. He made them a boat....er ship load of money......doing what HE believed in. He gave me courage to do the same. An inspiration for sure.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 am

gipsyblues wrote:fireflydances :rosegirl: :yes:

Glad to have you on board, gipsyblues. :girlwave:

gipsyblues

Unread postby gipsyblues » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 am

:hello2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes, very glad to have you along for the ride gipsyblues :worldhug:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “ONBC”