It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Summer Reading with ONBC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Noodlemantras……

Here’s an invitation of sorts, a trip out of town to the unexpected, where things will go from bad to absolutely horrific. Your destination is Moscow. You’ll arrive just in time for the fun to unroll under the command of a most extraordinary professor and his traveling companions. We promise, you have never met such a gang. There will be “decapitations, arson, black magic, abductions, counterfeiting of currency and self-satisfied people who are literally put in the nude.” You’ll laugh yourself silly. But that’s not all. There are other things at foot…….a story within a story that will likely leave you sleepless with wonder, and, of course, a love story. What would it be without love, no?

Our next book selection is The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (translated by Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O’Conner).

“One of the greatest novels ever to come out of the Soviet Union. A parable on power and its corruption, on good and evil and on human frailty and the strength of love. Equal parts fable, fantasy, political satire and slapstick.” ~ Goodreads

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, in “My Essentials” in Entertainment Weekly, December 11, 2009, Johnny lists The Master and Margarita as one of his essential books: “This dark, absurd, and subversive treasure lay hidden for many years, even after Bulgakov’s death, such was the fear of reprisal for such a pointed, authentic stab at life under the tyrannical malevolence of Uncle Joe and the withering Soviet climate of the time.”

But one thing……as this sign put up in Moscow on June 20, 2012 says,“Do not talk with strangers!”

There are a number of :russia: translations out there, but we had to choose one, which is the Burgin and O’Conner version.

Tidbits begin August 6. Happy reading Image

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Summer Reading with ONBC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm 

Sounds most intriguing!! :cool:

Just to let you Noodlemantras know, I will have a pinch hitter for this one. Real life dictates that I sit out The Master and Margarita. Liz and I have asked fireflydances to sit in my chair for this discussion and she has agreed to help us out. I know it is going to be an interesting one!! Enjoy!!!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
JDZ Moderator

DITHOT, I shall miss you during this discussion. :sad:

BUT Firefly, I appreciate your stepping in to help me out with this one, and I’m looking forward to working with you. :thanks: for helping me write the announcement.
:cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm 

:bouquet: Oh! The pleasure is totally mine!

:hatsoff: I am most happy to be of service to this wonderful bookish place, and very excited to help out. DITHOT: I will try my best to stand briefly in your place. Hurry back!!

:angel:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm 

I am totally excited - something we can really sink our teeth into!
And I'm also glad that firefly is joining our fearless leaders - welcome, friend!

My most recent translation is by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky- I know I've read a different one, but that's the one I have now...Do you think I should keep my eyes peeled for the Burgin/O'Conner text, or can I just muddle through?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Hi Buster.

I can't really comment on that as I have not read your translation. I do know that they can be different. I know someone who read a translation from the 70s that was not very good. But yours is fairly recent.

I'm sure the basic story will be the same, but I do think that you might be at a disadvantage for a couple of reasons:

1) The pages referred to will be all off. We will make a concerted effort, though, to also include chapter number, name, or both when we quote something.

2) Depending on the quote we use when asking a question, it could have a slightly different meaning. But I just don't know how this will go, having never discussed before (I don't think) a foreign book with different translations.

On the other hand, a different translation that you share with us could possibly enhance the discussion. Hard to say at this juncture.

So I will leave this decision up to you. And the same to any other Noodlemantras who have already read the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 pm 

:applause2:
Sounds like an interesting book. I wonder if an e-version is available. :perplexed:

DITHOT: I hope things are okay. You will be missed. :hug:

:yahoo: Firefly! Glad you were recruited to fill in. Looking forward, as always, to your insights and wisdom.

:snoopydances:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 am 

Oooo ! :bounce: I’ve been wanting to read this one since I first saw it on Johnny’s essentials list. It sounds like it will make for a most thought-provoking discussion. :applause2:
I do hope I’ll be able to fully participate in this one and not drop out half-way through the discussion, as is far too often my habit. :-/ Right now my schedule it light, so fingers crossed, I’ll be with you in Aug/Sept!
Firefly – wonderful of you to step in!! :thanks!:
DITHOT - Hope it’s nothing serious, mate. We’ll miss you. :grouphug:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 am 

This book sounds very interesting and I hope I can participate in the discussion and not get too busy (school starts again in August!). :)

Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 am 

For anyone questioning the versions of the book, I would suggest going to Amazon.com and reading some of the reviews from readers. There apparently is a big difference in some of the translations and people who know the Russian language speak in detail about those differences.

My book is ordered. :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm 
JDZ Webmaster

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

Just to let you Noodlemantras know, I will have a pinch hitter for this one. Real life dictates that I sit out The Master and Margarita. Liz and I have asked fireflydances to sit in my chair for this discussion and she has agreed to help us out. I know it is going to be an interesting one!! Enjoy!!!!!

Many thanks to fireflydances for agreeing to sub for DITHOT for this discussion. Leading an ONBC discussion is a lot of fun, but it is also undoubtedly a lot of work, and we are grateful to have such talented and dedicated book-lovers leading the way here.

Cheers to you!

:toastingpirates:

Part-Time Poet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am 

No worries, mates! I'll pop in when I can, just under some time constraints for a while. Thanks for the well wishes! :grouphug: I know you are in capable hands! :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm 

I thought I could just jump on it with my kindle fire, not available, oh well :grin: I still like paper, free shipping with Prime :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 am 

Good morning! I have my book, and hope to be able to join in on this one; it really sound like a good read. DITHOTbaba, by your reply I'm guessing all is well (at least I hope so :kiss: ), I look forward to seeing you whenever you pop in. Fireflydances it's great of you to stand-in, and I look forward to your maiden voyage. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to join in and make it through the entire discussion. :hope: :ONBC:

Live in Depp
Boo

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 am 

:cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next