It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: DS Question #5 - Soap Actors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 am 

Pg. 46 “All the soap opera actors tell similar stories. Audiences develop such an intimate relationship with the characters they watch every day that they find the real-life actors portraying them very approachable. Our waitress recognized Lara and me as Angelique and Josette despite the fact she’d last seen us together on television some two decades earlier wearing 1790s wigs and costumes.”

Comment on this bond between the characters and the audience. What is it about a soap opera that creates such devotion?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: DS Question #5 - Soap Actors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm 

It is probably the daily contact, reliable and on schedule, with details about personal life that the audience is allowed to see even if the character is lying to other characters.

I recently read an article a local newspaper columnist about her "on line friends" and how close she feels to them because they are always "on" -- all she has to do is go to her keyboard and friends are there, even in the middle of the night; and while internet friendships don't replace real life friends, the availability creates a special closeness. I think the soap characters are a little like that. Look at the clock, turn on the television, and there they are waiting for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:39 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Good start, nebraska. I had not thought of the reliability of being there at a certain time. But I agree.

I think it is the day to day contact. Contact isn't the right word. But you know what I mean. If you watch every day, you get attached. And because the storylines are so emotional, you get involved. They become like friends....and if you've been watching them for years, then they are like old friends. I think it can be kind of an addiction, too, due to the frequency.

I agree with you also on the online friends. I think I have become closer to them than my local friends because I am in cybercontact with them much more than I am in physical contact with my local friends. I do find my cyberfriendships very real, though.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm 

I agree it's the day to day consistency of watching the soaps. You "know" those characters and live through their ups and downs with them. Even if you miss a few months, or even a year, your friends are still there when you come back - well unless they have been thrown down a well, disappeared in the Amazon, fallen off a cliff or had plastic surgery so they look like a different person! :lol: I think there is also the element of suspense built into each storyline that makes you want to find out what happens. Also, the good guys usually win and the bad guys get there comeuppance...eventually!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:25 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I agree it's the day to day consistency of watching the soaps. You "know" those characters and live through their ups and downs with them. Even if you miss a few months, or even a year, your friends are still there when you come back - well unless they have been thrown down a well, disappeared in the Amazon, fallen off a cliff or had plastic surgery so they look like a different person! :lol: I think there is also the element of suspense built into each storyline that makes you want to find out what happens. Also, the good guys usually win and the bad guys get there comeuppance...eventually!

Or the bad guys are so deliciously bad that you love to hate them, in which case they become their own kind of comforting constant. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 pm 

So true! I went to see some actors from GH at a mall appearance back in the 80's. It was kind of weird to see them as themselves, especially since he was one of the "bad" guys! :mort3:

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:05 am 
JDZ Moderator

Which ones, DITHOT? In the early 90s I went to a GH convention and saw many of the stars. One of the things I noted was that they had SOOOO much make-up on. But they were all very personable. I remember hanging out at the bar with Kin Shriner (Scott Baldwin) and Jon Lindstrom (Kevin Collins). Very surreal. I'm sure it was because my neighbor who came with me was pretty hot at the time. I also remember how very gracious Jackie Zeman (Bobbie Spencer) and John York (Mac Scorpio) were. And how Kimberly McCullough (Robin Scorpio) was under a tight leash by her mom at the time.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 am 

Liz wrote:
Which ones, DITHOT? In the early 90s I went to a GH convention and saw many of the stars. One of the things I noted was that they had SOOOO much make-up on. But they were all very personable. I remember hanging out at the bar with Kin Shriner (Scott Baldwin) and Jon Lindstrom (Kevin Collins). Very surreal. I'm sure it was because my neighbor who came with me was pretty hot at the time. I also remember how very gracious Jackie Zeman (Bobbie Spencer) and John York (Mac Scorpio) were. And how Kimberly McCullough (Robin Scorpio) was under a tight leash by her mom at the time.

There were a couple of actors there but the only one I remember was Kin Shriner. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 pm 

Don't know a Luke from a Laura....sorry. :blush:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Well, the guy that plays Luke just won the Emmy today for best actor, and the guy who plays his son won best supporting. I may have to go back and watch GH again. I didn't realize that the original actor who played Lucky is back. I thought he was such a good actor as a kid. He reminded me of my son. Here's Luke and Laura, yesterday and today:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 pm 

I remember that wedding. Everyone in the dorms was glued to a TV. :-O I couldn't even get close enough to one to see what everyone was watching.
I found out later on the news. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I could only watch it on the news too because I had to work that day. Elizabeth Taylor was in attendance, which is partly why it made the news.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 am 
JDZ Web Designer

I remember reading about that wedding, but since I didn't watch the show, it wasn't a big deal...but who can forget Luke's hair?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
JDZ Moderator

It's still unique. :grin:

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]