Bryan Burrough Q&A #11

Author or PUBLIC ENEMIES

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:26 pm

suec wrote:I remember reading a review of Heat, in which the reviewer stated he felt the "wrong man died". Personally, I think it was a bit harsh on the Pacino character! But it is testament to how sympathetic De Niro's character seemed, even after seeing everything he was capable of. Mann and De Niro laid it all out on the line with the worst of his character, and still there was a likeable quality and that sorrow at his death. Likewise with Collateral, with Cruise's character (IMO). Show the audience the worst, and get them to connect despite of it all because of seeing the rest, too. That is what I am hoping for.

I think you have something there suec. Johnny will show Dillingers good side and his bad and despite the bad we will be in tears at the end.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

LilMissy

Unread postby LilMissy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 pm

gemini wrote:
suec wrote:I remember reading a review of Heat, in which the reviewer stated he felt the "wrong man died". Personally, I think it was a bit harsh on the Pacino character! But it is testament to how sympathetic De Niro's character seemed, even after seeing everything he was capable of. Mann and De Niro laid it all out on the line with the worst of his character, and still there was a likeable quality and that sorrow at his death. Likewise with Collateral, with Cruise's character (IMO). Show the audience the worst, and get them to connect despite of it all because of seeing the rest, too. That is what I am hoping for.

I think you have something there suec. Johnny will show Dillingers good side and his bad and despite the bad we will be in tears at the end.

I agree with what everyone has said about the good and bad side of Dillinger AND I trust that Johnny will show both sides! Gemini and Suec...you already have me :bawl: I have learned SO much from this book! Thanks so much Liz and DITHOT for your hard work!
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."~Blaise Pascal (1670)
My lovely avatar~thanks to Theresa
''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' ~John Wayne

eg222

Unread postby eg222 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:45 am

One of the things I love the best about Johnny's choice in roles is that he always manages to have us feeling compassionate towards the character by the end.

Learning to have compassion for each other is probably one of the most important lessons we can learn -- and Johnny always hits the blend just right. The truth of life is that none of us is all good, but none of us is all bad either. And Johnny loves to reveal each character's humanity-- at least enough to have us thinking about things like forgiveness and compassion.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:16 pm

LilMissy wrote:
gemini wrote:

I agree with what everyone has said about the good and bad side of Dillinger AND I trust that Johnny will show both sides! Gemini and Suec...you already have me :bawl: I have learned SO much from this book! Thanks so much Liz and DITHOT for your hard work!

That's just us having fun, LilMissy. :disco:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Parlez

Unread postby Parlez » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:56 pm

eg222 wrote:One of the things I love the best about Johnny's choice in roles is that he always manages to have us feeling compassionate towards the character by the end.

Learning to have compassion for each other is probably one of the most important lessons we can learn -- and Johnny always hits the blend just right. The truth of life is that none of us is all good, but none of us is all bad either. And Johnny loves to reveal each character's humanity-- at least enough to have us thinking about things like forgiveness and compassion.

Aye, very true, eg22! And I want to thank you for your comments...they've made me realize it's been much easier to me to see the humanity residing in the gangsters and to feel compassion for their plight than it's been for me to summon up the same generosity of spirit for, say, Hoover. I'm not sure if that's because of the way the book was written, or because of the pre-existing facts and mythology around the individual characters, or because of my own bias...
In any case, I like to imagine I'm as compassionate as the next guy, but your insights about compassion in general remind me I'm not! :blush:
"Belay that! ...Do something else!" ~ Hector Barbossa
savvy avi by mamabear

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:06 am

gemini wrote:Yes flo116, you are right. I feel just as upset about the way Dillinger died. I have been reading "Dillinger the Untold story" . Its nice to be reading a book the same time Johnny is. Anyhow the beginning is really sad.
His mom died when he was 3 and they found him trying to wake her up in her casket. He looses his first girlfiend. They even said he got married trying to get over her, but eventually came to love his wife and then she divorced him in prison when he was really trying to get back to her and make things right. Then his step mom, that he loved, died the day he came home from prison to see her. I have been in tears so far and I am just starting into this book.
It sort of gives you the other side of his life. I am wondering what Johnny is making of it.

I am intrigued about this book. gemini, would you recommend it as a good read to follow up PE?
Lady Jill
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:44 pm

I have just finished reading Dillinger the Untold Story (because Mr Burrough said it was a good one for further reading) and I would certainly recommend it. It is a pleasant read and gives some details and theories that I found quite interesting.

Lady Jill

Unread postby Lady Jill » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 pm

Thanks nebraska, It'll be my next read.
:wave:
" After we're gone, the only thing that matters is the love we left behind."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 pm

Lady Jill wrote:
gemini wrote:Yes flo116, you are right. I feel just as upset about the way Dillinger died. I have been reading "Dillinger the Untold story" . Its nice to be reading a book the same time Johnny is. Anyhow the beginning is really sad.
His mom died when he was 3 and they found him trying to wake her up in her casket. He looses his first girlfiend. They even said he got married trying to get over her, but eventually came to love his wife and then she divorced him in prison when he was really trying to get back to her and make things right. Then his step mom, that he loved, died the day he came home from prison to see her. I have been in tears so far and I am just starting into this book.
It sort of gives you the other side of his life. I am wondering what Johnny is making of it.

I am intrigued about this book. gemini, would you recommend it as a good read to follow up PE?
Lady Jill

Sorry to get back so late but I've been off getting into Hoover's life story. I finished "Dillinger the Untold story" in less than two days. I couldn't put it down so yes I definitely recommend it. It's also one that Johnny is reading so it should be on all ONBC'ers list. Oh, One more thing, the book has 2 authors. G Russel Girardin who wrote the original manuscripts and William J Helmer. Girardin has a beautiful old fashion way of writing that is really worth reading. Very descriptive. I think you will like it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “Bryan Burrough”