Bryan Burrough Q&A ~ #10

Author or PUBLIC ENEMIES

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Bryan Burrough Q&A ~ #10

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 am

ONBC: My grandfather was on the Dayton, Ohio police force at the time Dillinger was arrested. My family thinks they may have heard somewhere along the line that he was involved in some capacity in the Dillinger arrest, but no one knows for sure or how to find out (anyone who might have known for sure is gone). Maybe it's just one of those family tales blown out of proportion - I don't know. I was wondering, Mr. Burrough, if you had any suggestion as to how to find out this kind of information since you have done so much research yourself in this area, or whether this kind of information would even exist at all. I imagine names of police officers were not so important in the grand scheme of things. Anyway, I'm just curious. Thanks!

Bryan Burrough: No, all the Dayton police officers were either ID’s in FBI files or contempory newspaper accounts. If your grandfather had a significant role in Dillinger’s capture, it would have been reported. If not, well, you could start by just checking with the police department to make sure he was employed on the relevant date. Sometimes they destroy those records, though. In fact, quite often.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:30 pm

That's interesting. It's definitely worth adding to interesting stories in your family history. It's something I would certainly pursue. Can you check the local library for old newspapers? Sometimes they have them on microfilm. Good Luck.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 pm

What has been really interesting to me about this discussion is how many personal references you all have been able to make. Old maps, family stories, geographical connections...it has all been really fascinating and makes the story of this time in history so much more alive and accessible to all of us. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

AZDeppfan

Unread postby AZDeppfan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 pm

This was a question I submitted - thank you for choosing it as one of the questions to ask! :bounce: And it was so nice of Mr. Burrough to take the time to respond. I'll be sure to pass this information on to my family. :cool:
“What is in my mind is always more interesting
than what is happening in the world outside my mind.”
John Wilmot, The Second Earl of Rochester

Sheri

Unread postby Sheri » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:27 pm

It would be fun just to do the research on it! :cool:
~Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier~ Kathleen Norris

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 am

You're welcome, AZDeppfan! Glad we could help with your family story.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Bryan Burrough”