Thank You Messages for Andrew Birkin

Author of J.M. BARRIE AND THE LOST BOYS

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Thank You Messages for Andrew Birkin

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:55 pm

Many of you expressed a desire to let Mr. Birkin know how much we appreciated his participation in our discussion of J. M. Barrie and the Lost Boy. Liz and I would like you all to post your messages as a part of this thread. We will copy them into an email and send them off. If you would like to use your first name and geographical location (city, state, and/or country) I think he would be interested in seeing how wide and far his answers were read. However, it is NOT required to sign your name in order to post a message!

This thread will be open through next Sunday when we will close it in order to send the email.

Thanks everyone for your participation! :cool:
Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:07 pm

Dear Mr Birkin,

Thank you so much for taking time to answer a few questions for us. I think we all could have asked even more as the discussion went on. Barrie was a facinating man as well as the people around him. It has been our best discussion to date and we have you to thank for that. What a blessing for you to be exposed to all that family history & now you have blessed us with it. It was amazing how many letters were kept all these years. It got me thinking about my own family & how we dont really write letters anymore. We pick up the phone or send an email now. What record is left for family members to remember years to come. I have decided to start a journal to let people know what kind of person I am, what my family means to me and so on. Thanks so much for your time & your inspiration. I have been enjoying your site & look forward to hopefully getting my copy of the dvd The Lost Boys.

Veronica
Delaware, Ohio
Last edited by Veronica on Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:00 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin

Thank you for your insights into the lives of these wonderful people. You provided them a voice and a dimension that really brought them closer to us all.

To me, the most interesting part of any work is the humanity that lies beneath the words. If you can bring that quality to the forefront, it provides a depth and richness that is the hallmark of all great work.

You have managed to do it splendidly.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:32 am

Dear Mr Birkin,

Thank you for participating in our discussion of your book and answering our questions. Your book is so well written and full of information! We all learned a great deal from reading the book and talking about it. However in the question/answer session you were able to add a layer of passion about the subject matter that gives another whole dimension to who James Barrie really was. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and yourself with our book club! Kathy, eastern Nebraska, USA

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:06 am

Please remember to post your thank you message this weekend or email it ot us at jdzonbc@yahoo.com

The deadline is Sunday night!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:18 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin,

As Nancy’s co-moderator, I can’t tell you how appreciative I am that you took the time to answer so thoughtfully all of our questions and allowed us to post them. It added a dimension to our discussion of your book that we’ve not experienced since moderating this book club. And it enhanced beyond belief our enjoyment of reading J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys. Thank you so very much.

Sincerely,
Liz (add my last name, Nancy)
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:39 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin - how exciting it was to read your responses to the questions my fellow Zoners put to you. For you to take time from your busy schedule is something for which we are all really grateful. You gave us further insight into the life and writings of a man that I believe we all admire.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your time with us.

Linda B.
NYC
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

Pamela

Unread postby Pamela » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:00 am

Edited by Administrator.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin,

Along with so many others here at ONBC, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings about J.M. Barrie with us. We appreciate your candidness and thoughtfulness in the answers to our questions. You've helped us to really see past the surface of the man and to what really went into creating the masterpiece that is Peter Pan.

Cindy
California
Last edited by luvdepp on Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

johnnycake

Unread postby johnnycake » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:21 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin,

I can't thank you enough for agreeing to answer our questions. The information you provided really added to our knowledge and appreciation of JMB. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we felt very privileged to be able to "bend your ear" in this way. Your website on JMB is a real treasure, and I go to it often. Thank you again for your graciousness and generosity in answering our questions.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:57 pm

Mr. Birkin:

Thank you so much for generously honoring us with your time and expertise during our book club discussion. Your book was fascinating and was a pleasure to read; however, the deep insight into the personality and relationships of J.M. Barrie, which you shared by responding to our questions, added immeasurably to our understanding of this complex man and his work. It has also awakened a curiosity in me to read more on the subject, and your marvelous website has also been a wonderful resource. Again, thank you very much for this rare opportunity.

Maribeth M
Erie, Pennsylvania
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:45 pm

Dear Mr Birkin,

I would like to add my thanks for the book and your replies to the questions. I particularly enjoyed the way you presented the information, often allowing the subjects to speak for themselves in their correspondence and anecdotes, so that they really came alive for me.
To find oneself actively engaging with a text and wanting to question the author is such an enjoyable aspect of reading but to have those questions answered is a real treat. Your replies added so much to my appreciation of the book.

Nadine, UK

savvysparrow

Unread postby savvysparrow » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:17 pm

Dear Mr. Birkin,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions in response to J.M. Barrie and the Lost Boys. You truly added a deeper layer to our book discussion. Your insight and knowlege is much appreciated and we are honored that you were able to share them with us.

Dana
Houston, Texas

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! Please remember that tonight is the deadline. Youcan either post your thank you here on this thread or email it to us at jdzonbc@yahoo.com

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Andrew Birkin”