Q&A with Andrew Birkin #14

Author of J.M. BARRIE AND THE LOST BOYS

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Q&A with Andrew Birkin #14

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:13 am

As you read Mr. Birkin’s responses to our questions, please keep in mind that his answers are intended solely for the purpose of our readers. Please do not use his replies or take any quotes from them for any other purpose or post them on any other boards or websites. That was his only caveat when he agreed to participate. I know you all will honor his request!

The Yale University Press, and other sources, indicate that you are writing a screenplay for Peter Süskind’s book, Perfume, a book previously discussed by our book club. Is this true? Can you share with us any thoughts on the screenplay versus the novel or any indication on when filming might begin or who will star in the major roles?

AB: I’m afraid too big a subject to get into right now – and to some extent I’m sworn to secrecy – but it follows the book as faithfully as possible, starts shooting next Spring, and is as yet still uncast....
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Veronica
Posts: 5951
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Ohio

Status: Offline

Unread postby Veronica » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:38 am

Wow thats exciting. to get to see this book come alive! woo hoo :bounce:
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Pamela

Status: Offline

Unread postby Pamela » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:17 am

And dying to know who will play the lead! Wasn't Orlando Bloom's name bantered around for this - or is that total speculation?

Pamela

Status: Offline

Unread postby Pamela » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:17 am

And dying to know who will play the lead! Wasn't Orlando Bloom's name bantered around for this - or is that total speculation?

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:22 am

Pamela wrote:And dying to know who will play the lead! Wasn't Orlando Bloom's name bantered around for this - or is that total speculation?


Andrew wouldn't tell.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
luvdepp
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: California

Status: Offline

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:05 pm

Veronica wrote:Wow thats exciting. to get to see this book come alive! woo hoo :bounce:

Has anyone here read this book? Just wondering. Maybe I should add it to my list. Johnny did say he really like it, right? Read it twice?
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

User avatar
Joni
JDZ Global Moderator
Posts: 24166
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Canada

Status: Offline

Unread postby Joni » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:32 pm

luvdepp wrote:[Has anyone here read this book? Just wondering. Maybe I should add it to my list. Johnny did say he really like it, right? Read it twice?


I read Perfume last year. Quite an amazing book -- hard to put down. I can see why Johnny read it twice. It's the kind of book that stays in your mind long after you've finished reading it. I'm due to read it again, once I finish Black Dahlia Avenger. I lent Perfume to a friend who just raved about it. (said he wanted to keep it!) :lilyrose:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:58 pm

luvdepp wrote:
Veronica wrote:Wow thats exciting. to get to see this book come alive! woo hoo :bounce:

Has anyone here read this book? Just wondering. Maybe I should add it to my list. Johnny did say he really like it, right? Read it twice?


LuvDepp,

We discussed it here last February. IMHO it was a very unusual book. It was very well written. Suskind is very descriptive. He made you think of perfume and the sense of smell unlike you would have thought of it before. I had a hard time with the main character, though. I couldn't muster up any sympathy for him.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
lumineuse
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:50 am
Location: Erie, PA, USA

Status: Offline

Unread postby lumineuse » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Liz wrote: We discussed it here last February. IMHO it was a very unusual book. It was very well written. Suskind is very descriptive. He made you think of perfume and the sense of smell unlike you would have thought of it before. I had a hard time with the main character, though. I couldn't muster up any sympathy for him.


Ditto. The whole book kind of creeped me out. Guess I ought to read it again.
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

User avatar
luvdepp
Posts: 1839
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:52 am
Location: California

Status: Offline

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:42 pm

lumineuse wrote:
Liz wrote: We discussed it here last February. IMHO it was a very unusual book. It was very well written. Suskind is very descriptive. He made you think of perfume and the sense of smell unlike you would have thought of it before. I had a hard time with the main character, though. I couldn't muster up any sympathy for him.


Ditto. The whole book kind of creeped me out. Guess I ought to read it again.

I had read about this book on amazon and some of the reader reviews and came away with kind of the same impression. Maybe I'll check it out anyway. You never know what works for some people and not for others. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:26 pm

Pamela wrote: And dying to know who will play the lead! Wasn't Orlando Bloom's name bantered around for this - or is that total speculation?


Yes, that was the speculation and it had been reported several times in trade magazines that Orlando was set to play the lead. I have not seen anything recently though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!


Return to “Andrew Birkin”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest