Q & A with Andrew Birkin #10

Author of J.M. BARRIE AND THE LOST BOYS

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Q & A with Andrew Birkin #10

Unread postby Liz » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:44 am

As you read Mr. Birkin’s responses to our questions, please keep in mind that his answers are intended solely for the purpose of our readers. Please do not use his replies or take any quotes from them for any other purpose or post them on any other boards or websites. That was his only caveat when he agreed to participate. I know you all will honor his request!

Had Sylvia lived, do you think they would have eventually married? Was Sylvia “in love” with J.M. Barrie?

AB: I’m absolutely certain Sylvia was never in love with Barrie – “the best friend in the whole world” is how she described him in her Will. And what is friendship but love without its wings? It’s true that Barrie gave her an engagement ring, and maybe she would have married him precisely because he was impotent – i.e. she so loved Arthur that she could never have made physical love with another man, and therefore Barrie was a “safe” option – and a marriage would have guaranteed legal security for her boys..... But this is all supposition on my part....
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

scarlett

Unread postby scarlett » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:57 am

Ah. So Mr. Birkin's supposition agrees with ours on this point. Just as their friendship appeared to be a mutally beneficial, I suspect their marriage would have been as well, but I still don't see Sylvia actually marrying Barrie, love or not.

KYwoman
Location: Kentucky (KY); birthplace of Johnny Depp and Hunter S Thompson

Re: Q & A with Andrew Birkin #10

Unread postby KYwoman » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:01 am

Liz wrote: And what is friendship but love without its wings?

I really like that..... :blush:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." :motorcycle:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:17 am

KYwoman wrote: And what is friendship but love without its wings?

I really like that.....

Isn't that lovely! :angel:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Andrew Birkin”