Q & A with Andrew Birkin #9

Author of J.M. BARRIE AND THE LOST BOYS

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Q & A with Andrew Birkin #9

Unread postby Liz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 am

As you read Mr. Birkin’s responses to our questions, please keep in mind that his answers are intended solely for the purpose of our readers. Please do not use his replies or take any quotes from them for any other purpose or post them on any other boards or websites. That was his only caveat when he agreed to participate. I know you all will honor his request!

I grew up watching the Mary Martin version of Peter Pan. Were any such musical productions of Peter Pan mounted during JMB’s lifetime? Can you speculate as to what JMB would have thought of such versions of his play?

AB: According to Nico, Barrie was totally unmusical, and couldn’t tell good songs from bad. As far as I know, there were no musical versions of Peter Pan in Barrie’s lifetime, apart from John Crook’s original 1904 music, which included a couple of songs (eg Wendy’s house). Being English, I’ve never seen the Mary Martin musical – or any other, come to that, apart from the ghastly Newley/Bricusse version for Mia in 1975..........

Here is a more recent pic of Birkin discovered by our loyal pic sleuth, Veronica

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:35 am

Great question! I had wondered about that, having grown up with the Mary Martin version myself. How very different the experience of seeing the play must be without the music. I expect it has a totally different feel to it, and I don't really know Peter Pan as well as I thought I did!
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:02 pm

I would rather watch it without all the singing. I cant wait to see how its done here when it comes. Mary Lou Renner (sp?) is Peter Pan. Has anyone seen her show before? does she do it as good as Sandy? My daughter was so mad when she realized it was going to be a girl playing the part. she wanted a little hunky Peter like in the movie. lol
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:18 pm

Veronica wrote:I would rather watch it without all the singing. I cant wait to see how its done here when it comes. Mary Lou Renner (sp?) is Peter Pan. Has anyone seen her show before? does she do it as good as Sandy? My daughter was so mad when she realized it was going to be a girl playing the part. she wanted a little hunky Peter like in the movie. lol

Liz and I will be seeing it in November with Cathy Rigby starring, her last tour, from what I've heard. I'm taking my 14 year old daughter who saw the movie last year about a dozen times. She had a huge crush on the cute blond boy who played Peter Pan. I don't know how she will like the play, since she was so taken with the movie.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:13 pm

luvdepp wrote:
Veronica wrote:I would rather watch it without all the singing. I cant wait to see how its done here when it comes. Mary Lou Renner (sp?) is Peter Pan. Has anyone seen her show before? does she do it as good as Sandy? My daughter was so mad when she realized it was going to be a girl playing the part. she wanted a little hunky Peter like in the movie. lol

Liz and I will be seeing it in November with Cathy Rigby starring, her last tour, from what I've heard. I'm taking my 14 year old daughter who saw the movie last year about a dozen times. She had a huge crush on the cute blond boy who played Peter Pan. I don't know how she will like the play, since she was so taken with the movie.

Now Im wondering if it wasnt Cathy Rigby playing in it now that you say her name. I might have the two confused. :-?
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Still-Rather-Timid

Unread postby Still-Rather-Timid » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:39 pm

I saw a Cathy Rigby production almost 20 years ago, I think--and I don't remember its having the music. Then I found out upon looking for Peter Pan CDs that Cathy Rigby now does the musical version. Does anyone know if she's always done the singing? I knew her as a gymnast, and I could swear her original Peter Pan production was the original play rather than the musical. Anyway, I had the Mary Martin LP as a child and was able to replace it around 5 years ago with a CD of the version with Martin and Cyril Richard. I still love it!

Return to “Andrew Birkin”